Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

First Vitodens 8-32

Options
and my plumber/installer is complaining because it is "different" from what he is used to. He hasn't started yet, but already he is whining because he can't find the mounting template in the boxes anywhere. The manual also shows a mounting X-brace that is not around either. I was wondering also if he ordered the right boiler or do all the Vitodens need 230volts, as now he needs to run a new line over. Maybe I should have found someone more familiar with these...ya think!? After lurking here so long I became sold on this style for my own home. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Howie_4
    Howie_4 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    He probably just doesn't recognize them...

The x-brace is "hinged" near the middle, so it might look like two pieces of stamped steel lined up together as an "I" instead of an "X". I forget where the template was, but it might have been part of the packaging... i.e. a piece of cardboard. I'm sure someone here knows exactly what it looks like.

You should get a plumber that's familiar with the unit, or make sure you know enough to be dangerous so you could fill your plumber in on things like what the X brace is. Otherwise you're likely to end up with an installation that doesn't work very well.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    I would

call a timeout. Read the install manual,have the installer read the install manual particularly in regards to piping,venting and wiring. The Vitodens comes with a power module to convert our US current to the European Volts/cycles the boiler requires. After reading the manual one or both of you might decide this not the job for him. As Clint Eastwood says"A man's got to know his limitations"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Seattle Nick
    Seattle Nick Member Posts: 64
    Options

Thanks Howie, I will look throught the parts again tonight. The upper mount is there for sure and we kept all the card board from the boxes too- I will see if there is a template printed somewhere.
    I do know enough to be extra dangerous, which may be why he was so cranky as I may have been hovering a bit much. He took the manual home with him to read up on so I do know he is enthusiastic anyway. Thanks again for the help!
    Bob
  • Seattle Nick
    Options

Thats good advice, Robert. We are doing a timeout of sorts since he won't be back till next Wednesday to get started. He took all the info home with him, so if he is not comfortable with proceding, he knows he can bail out. We did find the power module there but didn't look close enough at it obviously. He has wanted to do one of these jobs and has done some of the other brands so I think he will stick with it once the sheetrock guys are out and he can think a bit.
    Thanks for taking the time to help.
    Bob
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Yikes

You do not need or want 230V for the Vitodens. Supply the power module with standard 120V 60Hz power. Do not use a GFI circuit. The Vitodens power module tends to trip them. The power module comes in a separate box. I assume one was delivered with the boiler along with the installation fittings and DHW production kit if needed. The small vitodens also needs a separate vent adapter.

The brackets come in the box with the installation fittings. I see no need for the cross brace. It is only needed if you are installing the piping before the boiler. I could never think of a time I would want to do that. Really the template, cross-brace, and the bracket the installation fittings are connected to seemed pretty useless to me. There are good dimensions for the venting in the technical data manual if I remember correctly. It's in one of the manuals.

Be careful of the venting. If you are using propane, be sure your installer measures the fuel inlet pressure and verifies it is within the acceptable range. I assume you are installing an indirect water heater. If it's a Vitocell, you are probably ok, but if it is any other brand, I recommend using a booster pump on the domestic hot water side. Viessmann has a technical bulletin on this. It only applies to the 8-32.

I assume you are using a low loss header on an 8-32. Look at the piping manuals carefully and make sure everything is installed in the correct location. These wall hung boilers are a little different from a standard cast iron boiler.

There is no call for heat or boiler contact. The boiler runs on constant circulation. The thermostats just open and close zone valves or turn zone pumps on and off. There is no communication between the boiler and the thermostats or the zone valves.

There is a learning curve to the Vitodens, but be thankful that Viessmann has the best manuals in the industry.

-Andrew
  • the manual is available online

view or download it here:
    viessmann.com
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    Training

can you or the installer go to training? He can try his supplier or the rep. company. I'm sure they'd love to walk him through his first Vitodens.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Seattle Nick
    Options

Thanks for all the help on this guys, we are in the pursuit of Quality here, so I will be sure to post again with any questions. We will see how it goes Wednesday. This is a beautiful piece of gear to be sure...

Bob
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like...

Your supplier screwed up and forgot to ship the rest of the components. THe boiler comes seperate from the mounting hardware and the pump relay package and the vent termionation and .. You get the picture. You got the boiler only. THere are normally 2 boxes that come.

ME
This discussion has been closed.