Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bull Headed T on Steam Main

Options
Jeff_74
Jeff_74 Member Posts: 46
I think I found out why there is a cap on the end of this main. In the pic, you can see that the main is headed right for a sewage pipe. Perhaps the original intaller designed access to the end of this main? The main pitches slightly toward the capped portion. Perhaps the steel strap has drooped a little.

I still wonder if it would improve the system's performance to tie into the main at its end as apposed to the bullheaded T.

Comments

• Jeff_74
    Options
    Is this OK

Is this piping arrangement OK? On one of the mains of my one pipe system
    there is a bullheaded T so the steam splits off in either direction. There are two take off's on the left and three on the right (almost toward the end of the main).
    I noticed that the very end of the main has been capped and wonder if I should
    have this re-piped to get rid of the bullheaded T.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    yes...

bull heads on steam are a non no...especially a newer boiler where the steam can have more velocity..I have seen it be ok on very old 50+ yr. old systems....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Is this T close to the boiler

If so, it should be easy to repipe, and I would. Are there any radiator connections between the T and the capped pipe?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff_74
    Options
    Thanks...

Here is a pic of the end of the main. I think it would be quite simple to plug the T and pipe to the cap. If done this way, the steam would completely reverse directions in a very short space. Is this OK.

The bioler I replaced was 65 years old so I guess this bull headed T was Ok
    then.

Thanks for your help.
  • Jeff_74
    Options
    Thanks Steamhead et al.

Yes, this piping is right next to the boiler. I took another pic to better show
    the proximity of the bull headed T and the cap at the end of the main. Yes, there are two
    risers between the T and the Cap. It seems the T could be capped, put an L
    on the riser and strait to the cap.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Wait a minute.....

before we do anything.... is there any evidence of where that capped pipe used to go?

• Jeff_74
    Options
    As you can see

Here is a pic of the piping around the boiler showing the capped main.
    There's no logical place I can see where this would have tied in. And since everything is painted the same orignal green, there's no evidence of alterations
    to the piping.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Interesting

I think it might have gone thru the wall to the left, where that other main now goes. Maybe they added more radiation to that part of the house at some point, and decided it needed its own main?

How does the capped portion pitch- down toward the bullheaded tee, or away from it?

• jeff_57
    jeff_57 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I never thought of that...

I'll have to check the pitch when I get home from work. The old 65 year boiler had two takeoffs...the contractor just tied in to the existing system as seen in the pics.

While I'm not an expert, I'm not sure if another main was added because this is a boxy colonial house and the main that dissappears into the wall servies 1/2 of the house. All the rads are from the same manufacturer throughout...but...
    like I said, I'm not an expert. The old boiler was piped incorectly with
    both main take off's BETWEEN the two risers at the boiler.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    That makes sense

it was probably easier to run a new main than reroute the old one, when the sewer line was installed.

You'll want to drip the end of that main into the wet return to get rid of the water that is certainly standing in the end of the pipe. And install a tee for an air vent, though I'm not sure the main is long enough (as compared to the others in the system) to need more than a small one.

• Jeff_74
    Options
    OK...

But where does the drip connection return at the boiler? I have plenty of venting at the other end of the main (Gorton #2s)...Do I want venting at both ends? Does this mean I should leave the bullheaded T on this main?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks very much!
This discussion has been closed.