Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Experienced Boiler Install wanted for Toronto '30s home

Options
Tara
Tara Member Posts: 21
Thanks Dobber. I have already contacted about 3 companies. One was recommended by the local Home Depot and another is located in my area. When I talked to one of the contractors asking for a ball park figure for Viessmann installs, I got quite a shock at how high it was. However, I will wait until he comes over and gives us an estimate on the different boiler brands. He also mentioned that power-vented boilers (high efficiency can be up to 50% more expensive than atmospheric boilers) so I think that has made up my decision in that regard but I will see what the other contractors say as well.
Tara

Comments

• Tara
    Options
    Experienced Boiler Install for Toronto '30s home

hi there,

I'm looking to have our old boiler replaced due to the clanging noises coming from the iron radiators last winter. Also the boiler unit's walls were getting so hot that they would make really loud banging noises. We had two different serviceman come and look at it and they both bled the rads and did some other stuff.

The boiler is over 20+ years old and it's currently vented through the chimney. I've done a bit of research but am having trouble finding other people who have had their boilers replaced to get a reliable referral. Most people I know have forced air.

I am looking for any homeowner referrals for a licensed tradesperson in the greater Toronto area who is experienced with replacing boilers in older homes (built in the 30s.) I am concerned with getting someone experienced who knows what they're doing especially when it comes to marrying a new boiler with an older home.

Also, if anyone could post what they think are the most reliable brand of boiler is for these older type homes, that would help me in my decision as well.

Thank you!
    Tara

P.S. I suspected in the past years that some CO was leaking but my parents tell me that they smell nothing and that I am paranoid. I get a tight-headed feeling like it's harder to breathe sometimes when I go down to the basement if the boiler is on in the winter months. However, the CO detector never goes off and I have tested to see that it works by pressing on the button.

My parents don't want to vent through an outside vent because of the hassle that will entail. (I've read that there's less chance of CO leaking when the O2 intake is done this way.) Am I being paranoid or is this a symptom and is a little CO release normal?

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Can't resist

Viessmann is located in Waterloo.

I know what you mean about being sensitive to CO. I get headaches immediately if I'm in the presence of exhaust fumes.

-Andrew
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    CO

I can only say this, other than "no CO" there is no safe or allowable level of CO in a structure.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you get that issue dealt with ASAP.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tara
    Options
    Clanging noises - Boiler install wanted for Toronto 30s home

hi Steamhead,
    I assumed it was hotwater because when we bleed the rads water comes out. Although to be honest I don't know how you can tell the difference between hotwater vs. steam boiler system.
    Thanks,
    Tara
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Does it have

litrtle vents at the tops of the radiators that you open with a key? If so, it's hot-water. These systems are not known for clanging so you need to get a pro in there NOW to see why it's so noisy.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options

Hi Tara
    Give a call to Vince At Noble Trade.#905-760-6880

Good Luck
    Dobber
  • Tara
    Options

There are no little vents at the top of the radiators. I guess it must be steam. Is there a distinction between boilers for steam vs. hot-water systems? Someone recommended Viessman...I looked at their website and the products look expensive.

I'm also concerned with if / when we would need service on these types of boilers. Is it easy to find serviceman who are experienced and well-trained in installing these type of boilers in Toronto area?

Tara

P.S. I looked at the old boiler and it says Raypak AT on it.

• Tara
    Options

hi Dobber,

Have you used Vince from Noble Trade for a boiler install in an older home?

I noticed NOble Trade has multiple branches across Canada. If you don't mind me asking, what is your relationship with Vince at NOble Trade?

Thanks
  • Brian
    Options
    Vince

> hi Dobber,

>

> Have you used Vince from Noble

> Trade for a boiler install in an older home?

>

> I

> noticed NOble Trade has multiple branches across

> Canada. If you don't mind me asking, what is your

> relationship with Vince at NOble Trade?

> Thanks

• Brian
    Options
    Vince

Noble Trade is a plumbing and heating wholesaler.Vince is their heating manager.I'm a hydronic contractor in central Ontario and I contacted him on Uni-R's behalf to find a contractor in his area.I'm sure Vince would be able to help you find someone as well.

Good Luck

Dobber
  • Vince_6
    Vince_6 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Boiler Retrofit

Please email me or give me a call regarding your boiler retrofit. I just want to confirm what it is that we are working with here. I can then set you up with a few experienced contractors who can help you out.
  • justme_2
    justme_2 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Toronto Boiler

Tara,

There are several experienced boiler installers in the Toronto area. You may want to contact different boiler companies and find out who the Toronto Rep is for the different boiler companies. And talk to the rep directly. Find out who they recomend for boiler installers.

Noble Trade was mentioned, this company sells boilers to boiler installers. They could make recomendations. But the installer is the person you will be dealing with.

Viessmann was also mentioned as a boiler manufacturer, Viessmann has a great boiler line and yes they are expensive.

There are several boiler manufacturers that have offices in Canada. Ray-Pak, Weil-Mclain, Viessmann are just a few.

I would find a good installer first, than let them provide you with different boiler manufacturers.

I read a statement in this thread about power-vent being more efficient than chimney vent, this is not entirely true. Many boilers have the option to be power vented or chimney vented. The actual efficiency remains the same(usually stated as AFUE), but you are using electricity for the power-vent. This doesn't neccessarily affect combustion efficiency but it will eat-up some electricty.

You made a good start by stopping here. Do some more homework, find a good contractor, than find the boiler.
  • Tara
    Options

Thanks for the advice Justme. I'm having a hard time finding a contractor that does a heat loss analysis/calculation. So far out of the 6 or so that I contacted - only one offered to do it. But I am still looking!

Tara
  • Bernie_4
    Bernie_4 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    A couple in the east end

I have used Belyea Brothers and found them to be good and a friend has used Toronto Warm Floors and found them to be verry good.

Both 100 year old homes in the beach.
This discussion has been closed.