Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Renovating/New Heat System

by doing that, even though the boiler would probably work OK. Baseboard doesn't hold heat like cast-iron does so the boiler would probably run more often, and baseboard is also more easily damaged than cast-iron (think of kids playing inside on a cold or rainy day). And if a leak should develop in a hot-water system, it can cause some major building damage. With steam, a leak would result in a bit more humidity. And it's easy to zone a steam job with TRVs.

You could probably find steel cabinet convectors that would work with your steam system. These would be more durable than baseboard but not as durable as cast-iron. There's a reason those radiators are still there- they were made to last and last and last and last........

Check out the job in my company's Find a Professional ad- follow the link below. This is a 36-unit co-op apartment building with a large one-pipe steam system. So far we've saved them over 30% on their gas consumption while equalizing the heat distribution through the building. As always there's still more to do, and we'll keep you all posted.

"Steamhead"

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Doug_38
    Doug_38 Member Posts: 2
    Replacing Steam Heat

We plan on renovating a 4 story apt. bldg (in Eastern Mass) that has existing steam heat. Currently there is one unit in the basement that handles all heat and hot-water.
    I would like to add a seperate heating (and a/c?) and insta-hot-water systems to each of the 8 units (approx. 800 s/f)(2 on each floor). Some walls and flooring will be replaced, etc.. but not a complete "gutting".
    Are there any specific units/systems I should consider?
    We will be using a GC but would like to have some ideas for discussion. - Thanks!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

I'd think long and hard before replacing the steam system.

Find a good steam man (shouldn't be difficult in your area and try "Find a Contrator" at this site) and get the system in top-notch condition. TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) can go a LONG way to both increase your tenants comfort and decrease your fuel bills.

800 sf per unit (especially the 6 units with no ceiling loss) is quite small to efficiently supply with individual heating systems.
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    You could install...............

............separate hot & cold water meters for the tennants, and charge accordingly. Also don't bother with a locking t'stat box if you stay with a single boiler. [ice cubes in a baggy can do wonders when it comes to keeping the heat on] Get an indoor/outdoor like Fuel Watchman or Heat Timer, and you are good to go.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Doug, the last thing you want

in an old building is eight separate sets of fuel-burning appliances.

With the current setup, you have all your combustion in one place- the boiler room. This room can be and should be kept isolated from the rest of the building so: a- the tenants cannot tamper with the equipment, and b- if something does go wrong, like a carbon-monoxide release, it will not take place inside one of the apartments. Remember, you as the landlord are liable for things like this.

If the fuel bills have you down, hire a good steam man to optimize the system (proper air vents, etc.) and install thermostatic radiator valves in the apartments and an outdoor reset control on the boiler. This will avoid wasting heat.

A/C is a separate issue. As a landlord you may not be legally required to provide it, and if you choose to you will have to maintain it. Having tenants provide and use window units sidesteps this issue.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Doug_38
    Doug_38 Member Posts: 2
    Replace radiators

Thank you all for your replies.
    Perhaps 8 fuel-sources is a little much.
    Mainly, I want to upgrade/renovate the building and want to do away with the old radiators. Will I be able to convert the existing (2 years old-steam) boiler to a hot-water-baseboard supply? Is this often done?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

I know that iron radiators take up space and are often considered old-fashioned, but they provide wonderful, even and economical heat. Yes, even with steam systems provided it's working properly. A VERY nice "upgrade" for the radiators is thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs). Each tenant will be able to adjust each room to the desired level independent of the rest. All can be set for a maximum allowable temperature and even the standard models require some brain power to defeat. Highly tamper-resistant models are also available--likely very useful in any heated common areas.

Converting the system to baseboards would likely require a complete re-piping--both expensive and disruptive.

This discussion has been closed.