Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydro air and unico

Options
Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
trash on high velocity. Just have been involved in several projects that cast iron radiation was removed and hydro air installed.

We do the boiler and an HVAC company does the duct work and air handlers. Regular air handlers have not been a problem but on the few cases high velocity Unico or Space pack have been used in sleeping and other living space noise has come up as an issue but not a major factor.

I just feel that high velocity should only be used were getting standard duct work in is unpractical.

Mitch S.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=388&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    unicco with hydro air and chilled water

We are starting a project that will have six unico air handlers with hydro coils and we will be using the unichiller for cooling.
    Has any one used the unichiller before? Any tricks to
    this and how well do they work. I have not had a chance to use them and any input would be great.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Just me

But I find any high velocity forced hot air (in the north east) a poor choice due to noise.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

home owner speced unico. I have not had many noise related problems with unico systems we install

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Homeowner perspective...

We had a unico system installed three years ago. After having been billed as whisper quiet, we were surprised at how noisy it is. However, it's a lot like white noise. The difference between on and off is quite noticable when it occurs, but once it's on it just fades to background noise... not very noticable.
  • Ron Huber
    Ron Huber Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Unico

Have used the chiller with two and three AHU and I also have a six AHU job coming up later this year where we will be using the reverse flow to heat in the shoulder months. The house also has radiant heat as the primary source, but we will see how much of the heating season we can squeeze out of the chillers in the reverse flow mode. Just make sure you insulate all piping to and from the chiller/s and AHU for they will sweat if exposed. The noise issue is a non issue if you use enough outlets for the size air handler you are using and we also use at least six feet of sound antenuator and usually try to loop the antenuators on the way to the outlett to give a little more of the muffler effect.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    I would definitely agree

The expense is just too great over traditional duct to use it for any other than where it's necessary. In our situation, we just didn't have the space for traditional duct, and if we made the space in closets and with a chase, it would have been sub-optimal.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    chillers

I like the unico system and have not had any problems. We try to use the whole 12' of atenuator putting bends in to help muffle the noise.
    The main concern i have is with the chillers has any one had problems with these? Looking for advice this is the first time we will be installing them.

• JaredM
    JaredM Member Posts: 57
    Options

Mike,

I have used the chillers. I was disappointed with the quality. They are made overseas, and not by Unico. The quality is not he same as the Unico stuff. We had some warranty issues out of the box and they have been running now for 1-1/2 yrs. They have pretty much worked as advertised but I was disappointed with the quality.

-Jared
  • Mark_46
    Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Howie

I would second your post. Thought it would be exceptionally quiet when in actuality it's only 'sort of quiet'. I find my second floor system more noisey than the first floor (completely seperate systems/air handlers). Particularly a couple of outlets on the second floor but I think I know how to address that and will try to remedy it.

Also, as Im sure many of the installers here on this site know, it is essential to use lengths of sound attenuator duct for as long a stretch as possible. But it is a balancing act becasue if there are many long runs or one very long run there is significant pressure drop.
  • Bernie_4
    Bernie_4 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Considerations on Boiler configuration with hydronic air handler

Hi Mitch,

I'm a home owner and had two high velocity air handler units installed when we did a reno. We went with the two because the living space was on four floors and we wanted to be able to zone heat/cool. We also had the house divided into two apartments. I am in the process of converting it back to s single family home. The handlers are supplied with hot water via independant combination hot water heaters. Overall I am really disappointed with the way the system is working. Numerous no heat situations due to air in the lines(no air scoop), the combi tanks failing, limited hot water on cold days, the system is noisy the list goes on.

I am thinking of changing over to a boiler and indirect hot water tank. I am hoping to solve three problems. The current system can only supply 120(and that is at the high end of the hot water tanks) degree water . A boiler could supply significantly higher water temperatures (180+) to the air handler allowing me to lower the fan speed to quieten the system when heating. The second is to give priority to the hot water. The third would be to increase reliability of the system.

Are there any special design considerations in these systems you would recommend (buffer tank due to low system volume), high efficiency modulating boiler versus mid efficiency non modulating..)

p.s.
    The air handlers have there own cooling coils(might not be the right term) supplied by independant condensers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks

Jared thanks for the info that was the kind of information i was looking for.

• Mitch_6
    Options
    All our hydro air

are boilers either condensing or conventional and hot water is off an indirect from the boiler.

This discussion has been closed.