Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant heat air elimination

Options
Tory
Tory Member Posts: 3
I have a 3 zone, closed system with a Spirovent air eliminator. I also have 2 water filters on the incoming water supply line before my water heater.

After I change the filters, I sometimes have air get trapped in the pex tubing on the automatic fill line just before the Spirovent. This kept water from entering the system as needed. The Spirovent didn't get a chance to do its job.

Is there a way to prevent this? Do I need to install a manual bleeder valve on this line so this won't keep happening?

BTW, I have to turn off my house water to change the filters.

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    air bound

Not sure what you configuration is, but form your description, it sounds like the auto fill valve to the boiler. It has an internal check valve that may be leaking by when you drop the pressure. Try shutting off the boiler fill valve ( before the auto fill) and see if that eliminates the problem.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tory
    Options
    air trapped in the auto fill tube

Actually, the auto fill tubing goes straight into a valve of some kind between the expansion tank and the Spirovent.
    I don't know what this is, but there is no way to do anything with that.
    The line from the spirovent enters the Thermolec boiler case.

There is no boiler fill valve before the auto fill tube.

Help!!!! :>))))

Tory
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Share a pic it could be worth a thousand words

• Tory
    Options
    Radiant heat - air trapped in auto-fill tubing

Well, Hey! This is the first time I've attempted to scan a Polaroid picture, or anything. Don't have a digital camera. I hope you can see it.

A large amount of air was trapped in the tubing that enters just above the expansion tank. That is the incoming water for what is a closed system.

The shut-off valves for the water filter loop don't make sense to me. I'm not a plumber, just a retired home builder/remodeler who tries just about anything - sometimes successfully!
    It seems to me that the shut-off valve on the vertical incoming pipe should be before the filters, not after. Plus, the water for the auto-fill tube to the boiler comes from the cold side of the water heater. Can someone explain to me why I HAD to have an 80 gallon tank for the radiant heat system when the water comes from the cold side? Doesn't make sense.

So, how do I get rid of that trapped air? and, where do I put a manual air bleed? I have to shut the water off to change the filters (about every 6 weeks, with luck).

Thanx,

Tory
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
This discussion has been closed.