Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing a radiator

Michelle_5
Michelle_5 Member Posts: 4
Sorry, I don't know what everything is called. I think meant to say the nuts are stuck. I will try and post a picture later.

Thanks

Comments

• Michelle_5
    Removing a radiator

This is my first time posting here. Does anyone know easiest way to remove a radiator (all the bolts are stuck)

I just need to remove it temporarily to have my floors done.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • Charles G.
    Charles G. Member Posts: 113
    Radiator

Bolts? What bolts? The stucker it is, the bigger the wrench. But maybe you should post a picture before you get into trouble. Or at least 'splain yourself a little more.
  • John Ketterman
    John Ketterman Member Posts: 187

I am not sure what you mean by "all the bolts are stuck". Post a photo of where the pipe(s) go into your radiator, but most radiators are connected to the piping using unions.

Looking FROM the valve or elbow TOWARDS the radiator, you need to turn the nut (between the valve/elbow and the radiator) CLOCKWISE to loosen.

Equvalently, looking FROM the radiator TOWARDS the valve or elbow, you need to turn the nut (between the valve/elbow and the radiator) ANTICLOCKWISE to loosen.

They can be very hard to turn, and a long wrench or extender (unsafe) will probably be needed. That's because there is no pipe dope on the thread. When you reassemble, do not use pipe dope.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Michelle

They just be teasing.... not intending anything adverse to helping you. Just so you know. Welcome! You came to the right place. Good hearts, good minds. Sometimes both :)
  • Charles G.
    Radiator

But not necessarily at the same time. Multple choice--take your pick.
  • Charles G.
    Radiator

BEFORE you start turning anything, you/we need to know if this is water or steam system. DON'T turn anything until we've answered that question. If it's a water system, you'll definitely be refinishing floors--and ceilings, walls, etc.
  • Michelle_5

Its definately water. We've already drained the water. We just couldn't figure out what nuts to remove.

I'll post a picture later tonight.

Thanks for your help.
  • nuts ? bolts?

Pictures please and watch out for those moo cow comments.....
  • Michelle_5

Of course I couldn't get my camera to work last night to post pictures. However, I was able to disconnect the radiator with no problems. Thanks for the help.

One stupid question, what do you mean by moo cow comments?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Coo Mow

I do not know who that person was, (Coo Mow, since departed or withdrawn), but he or she was having too much fun at your expense, being too playful and perhaps not being very helpful.

Anyway- stick around and come back often! Behaviour is sporadic but information is useful.

Thanks!

Brad
  • Charles G.
    Radiator

> Of course I couldn't get my camera to work last

> night to post pictures. However, I was able to

> disconnect the radiator with no problems. Thanks

> for the help.

>

> One stupid question, what do you

> mean by moo cow comments?

• Charles G.
    Radiator

Now for the fun part--refilling the system. Post back.
  • Ebuz
    Ebuz Member Posts: 2
    same question, only steam

Hi I found this thread when looking for an answer to the same question -- I need to temporarily remove my radiator in order to lay a floor.

But I have a steam system. So I know I don't need to drain water, but is there anything else I need to do before I try to disconnect the radiator from the pipe that comes up from the floor? Anything I need to turn off or be careful of?

Thanks in advance. I can tell by what little I've read of this forum that you are friendly and knowledgeable folks!
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    radiator removal

Take the following with as much salt as you like - I'm not a pro (well, not a pro hydronics man, anyway).

1. Be gentle with the pipes. If you break one you'll complicate your life immensely.

2. You're 'laying' a floor? Meaning that the floor will be some measure thicker when you're finished? Watch out, pipe stretchers are expensive. You'll almost certainly have to compensate for the added thickness.

3. Remember to preserve (or establish) the correct pitch if this is 1 pipe (which your phrasing leads me to believe).

4. Watch your back - if these are radiators, they're HEAVY.

5. Buy 'We Got Steam Heat!' for a start & enjoy the trip.

Peace.
  • Charles G.
    Radiator

is there anything else I need to do before I try to disconnect the radiator from the pipe that comes up from the floor? Anything I need to turn off or be careful of?

Things to buy: (DIY is always an excuse to buy new toys)
    A big pipe wrench. The bigger the radiator, the bigger the wrench.
    A truss.
    Things to watch out for:
    Your toes. Your back. Other parts of your anatomy.

Post back when you recover...
    Seriously--you do know where to begin, right? Are you raising the finished level of the floor? Is there enough give in the pipe to raise the radiator? Access from underneath? And we won't even begin to discuss why you want to lay a floor...
  • best bet...

Best bet, call a pro... When reconnecting, the pro can service ur boiler for the season
  • John_102
    John_102 Member Posts: 119
    I forgot #6 (the most important)

But rjbphd just added it.
  • Ebuz
    Ebuz Member Posts: 2
    thanks

Thank you all for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.