Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Well.i got my first replacement compressor.

And you are correct again.I agree.

Well we had a few rain shower come thru yesterday morning and it gave me an excuse to put it off till monday.

Comments

• don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    my first replacement

compressor of the year.On one of our installs and only a year and four months old.Dang it.

Anyway going tomorrow to replace it, I'll find out if its was from something we done or did'nt do.

Professor the funds are in.Would you be so kind to shoot me the address again,Please!

I forgot to hit saved last time.

74 here today...Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    1st comp.changeout

hi Don.I have changedout more than just one compressor. I daresay I have met only one or two bad compressors,but, I have met many bad systems that had failed compressos as the result of something/somewhere being wrong.Correct the problem,save a compressor.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Good Point

When a compressor goes bad, you should always ask yourself why the compressor failed in the first place. This is something that I stress with my students all the time.

Consider the following. You have a system that is equipped with a thermostatic expansion valve. The bulb has been secured to the outlet of the evaporator coil with one or more of the following: cable ties, chewing gum, electrical tape, duct tape, rubber bands, silly putty, Elmer's glue, carpenters glue, mirror mastic, Krazy glue or string.

The bottom line is that the TXV bulb comes loose. This results in the bulb sensing a higher temperature, throwing the valve open. This results in liquid floodback to the compressor. Now, the technician arrives on the job, determines that the compressor is bad, recovers the refrigerant, goes through the entire replacement process, only to find that the new compressor is bad as well.

Wow! What are the chances of a new compressor being bad right from the crate. Well, it wasn't bad when you took it out of the crate, but you sure made it bad realy quickly when you sent liquid refrigerant flowing back to it!

Always ask why!

Why did the compressor go bad?

Because liquid refrigerant was allowed to flow into the suction.

Why was liquid refrigerant allowed to flow into the suction?

Because the TXV caused the evaporator to flood.

Why did the TXV cause the evaporator to flood.

Because the valve was open all the way.

Why was the valve open all the way?

Because the thermal bulb was sensing a high temperature.

Why was the thermal bulb sensing a high temperature?

Because the bulb came loose.

Why was the bulb loose?

Because the thermal bulb was not mounted with the correct strapping material.

Why was the thermal bulb mounted with the incorrect strapping material?

To give the professor something to write about.

WHen you can no longer answer the WHY question, you have arrived at the cause of the problem. The defective compressor is just the effect, which will reoccur if the underlying cause is not identified and remedied.

This discussion has been closed.