Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chicago ILL.

Options
Garret
Garret Member Posts: 111
Stopped back when I realized I forgot to tell ya to visit a skydeck... doh!

I'd recommend the hancock building instead of the sears tower. It's cheaper, less crowded, nearly as tall, the view is better, and you can see the sears tower from it.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    anyone around?

A little off subject, but I have to do some traveling to Chicago in a couple month's. Is anyone by any chance familiar with the area? I'm looking for a decent hotel/inn and the best way to get around. I will be traveling to the U.S Naval base for a graduation if there is something better in that direction. I'm not much of a worldly traveler so any help is appreciated ...... :)
  • Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Boilerpro

Hey, try paging Boilerpro. He isn't far from there. I'm about 50 miles away in Wisconsin, but I am not much help with lodging, etc. because when I've needed to go down there, I just drove back home at night! I tend to stay away from the Chicago area unless necessary because I hate the traffic. But somebody that lives in Illinois should be of much more help. I assume you'll be at great lakes base, I've been there a couple times- it's a neat place!
  • lchmb
    Options
    Thanks Jason

Appreciate the help, I will be at the great lakes base (if I find it). I'm looking forward to this, since I don't often leave NH... I've heard the traffic is pretty rough in the city so I'm leaning towards staying on the outskirts if possible...
  • Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Gurnee

Hi.I was just talking to a co-worker.Since the base is actually north of Chicago near Gurnee, Ill. You could get any hotel in gurnee, or if you went just over the border to Kenosha, Wisconsin You would be less than 30 minutes from the base and you wouldn't have any traffic to contend with. The base is easy to find off of I-94. This is a pretty nice area north of Chicago so you should be OK no matter where you stay. If I were you, unless you want to see it for some reason, I would just avoid Chicago. The only time I was happy to see Chicago was when I landed there after leaving Newark, N.J.!
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    i grew up there...

thats why i don't live there now..hehe...i'd stay in lake geneva wisconsin and avoid chicago..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Jerry_15
    Jerry_15 Member Posts: 379
    Options

Are we talkin about Chicago here? A town with the greatest food, music, nightlife, museums, shoreline, architecture and people in these United States. And you're worried about traffic? I'd rather be in a dive in the loop than the Holiday Inn in Schaumberg any day. Go online and find something affordable on the near North close to the lake, and live it up, and take me with you.
  • terry_5
    terry_5 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Windy city

I live in Chicago, let me know what you need.Alot of cool places here but you have to know how to navigate or the ghetto rats will bite you!
  • John L
    John L Member Posts: 118
    Options
    The Great Windy City

Check out the Google ads on this site for Chicago hotels. You cannot find a more cultured, interesting, diverse or beautiful city in this fair land. Like some else said earlier in this thread, stay downtown for a few nights and enjoy an international and unsurpassed selection of fine dining establishments, museums and theatres. Take a stroll on the lake front and feel the fresh air coming off Lake Micigan. Whatever you like to eat you will fing it here in abundance. You tastes will be adequately catered for in this city. Chicago is a great city, you'll love it.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Tom,

I also posted on O.T.T. I live about a 1/2 hour away from the base. It just occured to me there is a Holiday Inn about 15 minutes away from the base in Gurnee. This puts you close to the major highways with easy access to and from the base. Also puts you right accross the street from what used to be the worlds largest outlet mall (Gurnee Mills), and Six Flags Great America Amusment Park.

Anything else, let me know.
  • Garret
    Options

I'm down in Champaign now, but I lived up in Chicago for a few years... First tip I'll give you is to hit your local library and grab some guide books. Chicago is a big town, with enough tourist stuff to keep you busy for a month.

From a quick search, it look like the Great Lakes Base is about 40 miles north of the city. If you're just going there for a graduation ceremony, and flying in-out of Ohare or Midway, I recommend staying in the city somewhere.

It ain't cheap, but it's an experience... anywhere outside of the city will just feel like any-suburban-town, USA. But you stay in the loop, and you'll feel the hum & energy of the place. Chicago is relatively safe too, if you keep to the developed areas.

If you need a hotel, maybe try searching Hotwire.com.. they let you search by city areas, and I've had good luck there getting a great deal (hotel allegro for $90 a night).

If you stay in the city, it's easy to get around by walking, taking taxis or the subway...

If you have time, some great things to do:

-- the art institute is one of the best art museums in the world... terrific collection of monet's paintings and lots more.

-- there's a U boat and a coal mine at the Museum of Science and Industry. They're both worth the trip...

-- go on an architectural walking tour of the city... these are really fun, interesting, and cheap.
    http://www.architecture.org/

-- eat somewhere fantastic. Star of Siam is the best Thai food I've ever had... and Frontera Grill is considered one of the best mexican restaurants anywhere, including mexico. Seriously, it's scary good... the chef shuts the place down for a month every year and takes the whole staff to mexico for training time.

-- take in a ballgame at wrigley field, if by chance a) the cubs are playing when you're there, and b) you can get tickets. Wrigley is up on the north side... but you can take a subway right there or take a taxi. If you're a baseball fan, it's worth the trip and the time.
  • Jerry_15
    Options

Now we're talkin Windy. Are the Parthenon and the Greek Isles still in biz? I'm gettin hungry just thinkin about it.
  • Jerry_15
    Options

You're killin me. It's been to long; folks just don't know what they're missin.
  • lchmb
    Options
    Wow

Thanks for all of the info guys!! As to the suggested site's to visit, I will only be there 3 day's so won't see most of it. They all sound incredible but this small town boy would probably get himself into to much trouble!! :) Although the thought of visiting the museum's around the city is incredibly tempting!!
  • Garret
    Options

Three days is plenty of time to have a memorable trip. Heck, I can't count the number of times we made day trips up from Champaign... three hours drive, a couple hours in the city, and three hours drive back, and still had a blast.

Please don't be afraid of the city... it won't bite. Chicago folks are friendly and helpful... the midwest is like that. And honestly, it's plenty safe. Just don't hang out in shady areas at 3 am, and you'll be fine.

People (me included) stroll their babies around the loop, michigan avenue, and the museums during the day... there's absolutely nothing to fear. Well, okay, you might get run down by a frisbee dog in Grant Park, or run over by a screaming pack of school kids at the museum of Science and Industry. ;)

Honestly, you're safer walking around the loop during the day than you are driving on the highways around town... when I say Chicago folks are friendly, I should make it clear they're also annoyingly aggressive on the roads. I'm from Pittsburgh, where people are friendly in person and on the roads... rare to find.
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Windy City

Since you're gonna be here for three days I would definitely stay at a downtown hotel. The north loop ones are walking distance to Rush St night life, Navy Pier, Hancock Bldg, Michigan Ave shops. The south loop ones are walking distance to Art Institute, Natural History Museum, Grant Park/Buckingham fountain. A visit to the skydeck at the Hancock or Sears Tower is a must. There are numerous architectural tours including Chicago river boat tour and segway (see the city and learn to drive one of those things)

Any loop hotel will provide plenty of tourism info to be sure. There's free shuttle busses aound to some of the interest points. The topper is there's a commuter rail line (Chicago-Kenosha) that runs hourly or so seven days a week that has a stop at Great Lakes Naval Base. I agree with those who say don't waste the trip holed up in suburbia. Stay downtown and you won't even have to rent a car.

Have fun, Tom from Chicago
This discussion has been closed.