Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Same as a smaller pump?

Options
mac
mac Member Posts: 16
Here's the scenario: Need incredibly small pump for 3 small loops of climate panel, roughly need 3 gpm @5' of head. I have a Grunfos 15-58, speed 1 is way to much, was running with about a 2* delta T. In lieu of changing (finding?) to a much smaller pump, can I simply wire in a 120V dimmer (rheostat?) to "turn down" the pump speed?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • mac
    mac Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Its already piped..

and I thought, "hey, what if the power is modulated down, like with a dimmer/rheostat??
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    no

A dimmer switch works by decreesing voltage. You are essentialy "browning out" your pump, and that In't good. You can get a switch that slows down the 60 hz cycle to whatever you dial it down to, to slow down the pump, but leaves the voltage at 110/120. These can be gotten at most any supply house that deals in hvac. These are used in commercial applications all the time when you need to cool in cold climes
  • Rich Corcoran_25
    Options
    Dimmer

The preferred way to dial in your pump is to use a valve to provide addtional head to the pump. You can dial in the flow to achieve your desired delta T.

RC
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why worry about it???

If you're not concerned with the parasitic cost of operation, which is minimal at best, let er rip!.

Choking flow to see a greater delta T will not necessairly deliver more energy.

Riddle me this. Which delivers more energy. A pipe flowing 100 GPM @ 1 degree delta T or a pipe moving 1 GPM with a 100 degree F delta T...

The panel will deliver its load based on the AUST differential. Having a low delta T across the panel actually has the potential of delivering more energy to the space than a panel with a large delta T...

Maybe the good Dr Bean will step in here and give one of his wonderful analogies.

PS, I've used dimmers on small circs before, and boy, are they NOISY! BUZZZZZZZZZZ.

ME
This discussion has been closed.