Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coal fired boiler

Options
Gene_3
Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
water line would have to be maintained, the same for each boiler, it should be anyway, not sure about valving off though, you could encounter a problem, if when switching to the other boiler the one just used still had a head of steam....

the other problem, finding the old grates and shakers and clean out door, you may have to search out current stove makers to get something that fits and have a door made with a baffle????????

anyone seen this done???

something I just thought of....plenty of protection, if overloaded with coal, remember what used to happen a lot??? "BOOM" customer would have to be made aware of this, multiple reliefs might be in order???

Comments

• Matt_21
    Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Coal fired boiler

A new customer has an old smith coal fired steam boiler which has been converted to gas. One of my techs said they called them "black & whites". We are going to replace the boiler with new but leave the existing. The HO wants to convert the boiler back to coal. He has about 4 yards of coal in the basement and thinks it would be a novelty to use it. I was thinking we could tap the steam & condensate serving the new boiler and valve off both boilers so he could use whichever he wanted? Would this work. Also, can you convert the existing back to coal?
This discussion has been closed.