Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

main vents

Options
Joe_55
Joe_55 Member Posts: 62
Try PEX SUPPLY.COM they have them at good prices too hope this helps Bill,

Comments

• Bernard Smith
    Bernard Smith Member Posts: 49
    Options
    main vents

I am trying to get my hands on a Gorton 2 vent but a lot of plumbing supplies dont carry them. They are all telling me to buy a Hoffmann 75. Is this the same vent or is it less effective than a Gorton 2? iflesseffective , what do I need to use in conjunction with the Hoffmann 75 or would I be better to continue looking for the Gorton 2?
  • Bernard Smith
    Options

can a main vent for a one pipe system be the same as the main vent for a two pipe system? Can I use a Hoffmann 75 on a one pipe system? My research says that this vent is for a two pipe system
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    Options

1 pipe is easy use Gortons and get them direct from the mfg. For big vents there is no comparison IMHO.
  • Bernard Smith
    Options
    thanks bill.

I just bought a gorton 2 on pex supply.com. I hope it works. The side of my house at the end of the main is very slow to heat up. 50' main, 3" diameter. Someguy put a hoffman 45 vent( aconvector vent i think) on the main so Im hoping this new vent should improve things considerably. Is there any special installation instruction I should follow? Will new vent screw in exactly where I take out the old hoffmann 45? Thanks
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    What pipe size

did the 45 screw into? If it was 3/4-inch you'll need a bushing to reduce to 1/2-inch for the #2. If the 45 was screwed into a bushing with a 1/8-inch or 1/4-inch hole, you'll have to remove that bushing first.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe_55
    Options
    Bernard

With a 7/8" hole saw you can drill a hole preferably on the top of the 3" main about 10" back from the last riser branch, Then use a 3/4 pipe tap to thread the hole to accept a 3/4 nipple. This will give you the capacity for aditional vents if needed ( you should have enough vents so you can't hear the air comming out ) hope this helps
    Bill.
  • bovide_6
    bovide_6 Member Posts: 25
    Options

you never had problems having enough meat on the pipe to handle 3/4 threads? I have to do the same thing this week and was going to weld a coupling or weld o let. Or am I being too anal?
  • Joe_55
    Options
    bovide

I did five taps into 3" and 4" mains last week these are pipes schedule 40 I believe 3/8" wall, Run the tap down deep and thread the nipple likewise and you will never have a problem ( this is low pressure remember) hope this helps P.S a vapor stat works well for .5 to 1.5 psi. hope this helps Bill
This discussion has been closed.