Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wiring question

Options
Michal
Michal Member Posts: 213
I have seen romex wire installed, and I do know romex is not accepted unless its in emt. SJOH is like a flexible cord wire, (like on a vacuum cleaner) it is not permitted as "hard wiring" it is more like the wiring on a light fixture. Code does not allow it, but that depends what code and state, I quickly looked through the nec book. Any one else have any input. I would keep away from it, go with mc all the way

Comments

• zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    wiring question

I notice some installs are wired with MC cable while others are using a black cable that appears to be a sort of SJOH type. Is there any code issues in this?
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    I don't think Romex

is even allowed in EMT! I know of no part of the NEC that allows anything but the appropriate form and gage wire to be pulled inside EMT (or conduit). By doing so, two problems occur. First, the wire in Romex is typically solid conductor. Wire pulled into EMT must be stranded. Second, there is no connector I know of designed to go from EMT to a j-box with Romex as the cable form.

Oh sure, you can secure the EMT with a connector, but the Romex is simply floating at that point. Only it's "trapped" by the Romex sheathing - meaning it's not really floating at all!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options

Keep in mind that the electrical code is a confusing document subject to interpratation.

As a general rule " flexable cables" cannot be substituted for the fixed wiring of a structure. cannot be run through walls, ceilings or floors. Cannot run through doors , windows or other openings, cannot be attached to a building surface.

It is approved for Pendants, wiring of some light fixtures,connection of portable lamps,appliances etc.,elevator cables, wiring cranes or hoists.

It would not be permitted to wire boilers , furnaces and controls

Romex can be run in EMT. It is very common to use an EMT as a sleeve. Example: romex attached to overhead joists with staples enters Emt through a bushing or fitting. The emt runs down the wall to a switch or receptacle box. Many unfinished basements are wired this way. It is also a good way to drop a circuit to a boiler.

Ed
  • Rookie_3
    Rookie_3 Member Posts: 244
    Options

I'm in MA and your code is probably different but we can't use Romex. We have to use THHN within 6' of the heating unit. We pull it through Greenfield and EMT. We use 14gge stranded.(15A circuit) Stranded is not allowed "by code" under a screw unless it's going into a terminal, made solid with a crimped end or solder, or connected under a wire nut.........ROOKIE
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    I stand corrected!

You cannot use NM (Romex) in conduit in buildings over 3 floors. But it CAN be used with conduit in lower buildings with conduit. As per 336-6.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • zeb_3
    Options
    Check out

Check out Heatboy's post under the "Propress" thread. That is the type of circulator wiring i'm referring to. Thanks.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    sure

Many local jurisdictions like to add little details such as grounding with local soil conditions, or they perfer that you use conduit instead of romex to wire a home.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Yes, besides NFPA

some states use CABO.

Check this out:
    http://www.codecheck.com/eleccode.htm

www.firedragonent.com

• Michal
    Options
    after looking at the propress pics

Look close At the photo of that job and you will notice that all 120 voltage is through mc/bx cable as required. The clack wire seen going from the control panel to the belimo actuator seems to be the wire in question, this is low voltage wiring (24v) and pretty much, you are not to run control wiring within line (120v) volt conduits. is this the wire you were refering to?
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    Right or wrong BUT

There are a lot of things that "happen" in the field which are "questionable practices". Code or not, IMHO common sense and good trade practice SHOULD separate the true pros from the rest of the pack.
    Worst scenario I was ever confronted with:
    4c/16ga stranded/shielded bell wire used to connect 5 600V 3 phase circulators NOW that is SHOCKING!!
    Logic used to justify stupidity: "it was cost effective"
    "the pumps only draw .6amps and using shieled cable makes it safe for high voltage" DUH!!!!
    ADVANTAGE: installation was located in a remote health care facility. Hmmmmmm maybe they were trying to justify the cost of building the facility by "creating a patient list". Now my question: Where was the inspector??
    Good news: No humans were cooked or killed during commissioning!
  • zeb_3
    Options
    look at the wire

connected to the circulators. In the pic I'm referring to it is not bx / mc cable.
  • Michal
    Options
    sorry seen another pic there now I know which one

Zeb
    you are correct, I see the wires, going into the control panels (look like viessman panels), by code I do not believe thats acceptable, even if you look to the right of the photo, there are 2 plugs in a outlet (which should be gfi) I asked one of the electrical engineers I work with and he said its a no no using that wire as such shown. The question also to heat boy is "is that a factory setup, or are the wires field installed??? I would have hard wired with mc all the way, my understanding is in a mechanical room line voltage wire must be in a protective jacketing, hence why romex is not seen, what do you other guys feel?
This discussion has been closed.