Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replacing boiler

Options
KJG
KJG Member Posts: 2
Here's my situation, 4,000 sqft home + new 1,500 sqft addition. Currently have National US 209 525,000 btu approx 50 yrs old boiler. Just added a Munchkin 199,000 btu 92% eff. for a snow melt system running glycol though that system. We've gotten several opinions from the professionals: 1) use several Munchkin 92% boilers to replace the National and run another system off the snow melt system for the new addition, 2)replace the National boiler with 2 Utica 80% eff.with an outside temperature sensor then run radiators off the Munchkin snow melt sys for the addition. Not quite sure which one is the best option. Thanks!

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    What's the heat loss?

Don't you think it's a bit strange to spring for a condensing snow-melt system and then put in the cheapest boilers you can find? Which system will be used more???

I would do a heat loss to understand how much heat you actually need, and what the max. water temps on the supply and return will be. Those temps will depend on the room-by-room heat loss, the emitters in them, etc. Onle then would I start to think about what heating plant to use.

If return temps will be low and the snow-melt is going to get used very infrequently, one could treat it like any other zone on the heating system, put it on a HX, and then use the extant Munchkin to heat the house, except when snow-melt is required (i.e. a variation on priority demand).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't marry the boilers....

Marry the contractor. That's who you'll be living with for the rest of your, and the boilers life. Go with the one you trust the most. Ask him if it were his house, what he'd do. And see what they say.

Personally, I don't understand why ANY boiler manufacturer continues to offer equipment with an efficiency less than 90%. I havent used one in a couple of years now...(Easy on me boys, I know your reasons...)

I have a customer for whom we'd installed an 85%er 5 years ago building a new house. I had to break the news to him about the current state of the art system for his brandy new home he's planning with migh mass RFH in it.

Shoulda seen him smile when I mentioned 98% :-) And computer interfaces ;-)

Personally, I 'd split up the loads amongst a bunch of mid to smallish sized mod con boilers. This give you the equivilant of a 12 cylinder engine with mega cruise control. If you only need to run on 1 cylinder, you can.

If you need all 12 cylinders for pulling hills fully loaded, she kicks 'er in the arse. Kinda like Dennis Bellanti's diesel pick up toting his race car up the approach of Eisenhower Tunnel. Quick burp of black smoke, then nothing but a Monochromatic Green dot going over the horizon, getting smaller by the second:-)

ModCons forever...

ME
  • KJG
    KJG Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Boiler price not an issue

I'm looking to replace my old 60% 545,000 btu hot water boiler with several 90%+ 199,000 btu boilers but I don't know which company makes the best boiler. Price is not a concern. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Heat Loss

is the place to start. 545K is an irrelevant number,it's what you need thats important.I'll make the prediction that the actual number will be at least 1/2 of 545K and probably 1/3.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Price is not a concern?

I'll be there! Where's there?

Seriously, In my humble opinion the Viessmann Vitodens is the current state of the art as far as robust construction and burner technology. Their electronics package is a little dated compared to some of the newer computer "interfaceable"? models available from other manufacturers but it will do all the basics and then some. They'll even custom design/build a control for you that matches the requirements of your system if needed.

I want to echo the comment of others here that are suggesting you get a heat loss calculation done for your home. We have done several in the 6,000-8,000 sq ft range that heat quite nicely with less than 150,000 btu's. Sizing your new system according to what exists there now is a waste of your money and energy.
This discussion has been closed.