Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waterloo, Belgium

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
and his piping work. I could use some of those double Y-ish looking splitters. Steel press fittings?

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Just returned from visiting

my cousin in Brussels. He took me to where the Battle of Waterloo was fought. There is a museum there (heated with radiators as are most buildings in Europe) that used to be a farmouse where Napoleon spent the night before the battle.

More soldiers died in this 5 hour battle than in the Vietnam War - 47,000

BTW, the Belgian beer is the best I've ever had.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    Who's bones?

Were they Napoleon's?
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I was in Belgium

this Spring. The beer was most excellent. Chimay was my favorite with DT (delerium Tremors) a close second. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. :) WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Options
    Don't know who

the guy in the case was. All it said is that you could see where the bullet entered his head.

• Brad White_111
    Brad White_111 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Did Hot Rod

add radiant to Napoleon's Bust in the second photo? He looks supremely comfortable even though in terms of BTU's he is a little short.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,095
    Options
    The Lil' General threw EVERYTHING HE HAD AT THEM

Loss of life was well-tolerated and expected back then. Belgian beer IS excellent. Mad Dog

• Brad White_111
    Brad White_111 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    LOL Mad Dog!

And oh by the way the beer is excellent....and that massive loss of life thing? Well, the beer, that's excellent....

Love the contrast.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    A pain in the head

Napoleon only looked huge in artistic renditions.

His remains are in Paris at the Hotel des Invalides, a VA center dating back to Louis the thirteenth and the three musketeers. Napoleon did not die at Waterloo, mad as he was, he finished interned on a remote island far of the coast of Africa. People like him (and there have been several others since) are going to be a real blemish in the chapters covering the 18xx and the 19xx of our future history books. It started when Napoleon smashed an invaluable tea serving set belonging to the ancient Tsar family of Russia, this in a fit of rage during some appeasement talks. After that it was all downhill for him. The allied coalition snared him in... Perhaps if some Chimay had been served rather than tea...

More good stuff came out of all this. After bankrupting France, Napoleon had to bargain off the Louisiana purchase. Also, the relieved French fell in love with the beef steak imported by the victorious British from its US origin. It is preferably served with French fries (itself a Belgian invention) and a beurre ma
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    \"Dining with a man from Brussels

he was six foot four and full of muscles. I said do you speak my language. He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich" (Men at Work)

Nice pics as always Alan. You visit nice and interesting spots, and take pics of all the right things :)

hot rod

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options

And this was after he lost about half of his men to hypothermia and starvation on the way to Moscow.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Napoleon may have been

a little over the edge. However, many of the changes he instituted are still deeply imbedded in the French way of life. Had he not had a yen for conquest, he could have led one of the smoothest transitions from a Monarchy to another form of government.

Strange. We always associate Waterloo w/ Napoleon. Almost never w/ the fellow who consistently beat the French in Portugal & Spain, pushed them from the Pyrenees, and delivered the final blow @ Waterloo. The other fellow. Sir Arthur Wellesley - The Duke of Wellington.

Don't recall whether the Duke drank beer. He consumed a fair amount of wine. Particularly w/ his favorite meal. Roast mutton served w/ a vinegar sauce.

Thanks for those snapshots of history.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    The Little Emperor

Always associated with France, he was a Corsican, not French (if you ask the average Corsican to my understanding). So they still have yet to really win one. ;)

But he did succeed in having buttons sewn on the sleeves of his officers, the better not to wipe their noses. Forget enduring transtions from Monarchy to other forms of government they now enjoy- the buttons? THAT is important.
  • JimmyJam
    JimmyJam Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Belgium

Alan,
    I hope you had the chance to tour the ACV boiler manufacturing facility (TriangleTube). I was there last spring and found to be quite impressive!

Brussels is a very beautiful city!

71Gibby
    Options
    Unfortunately not.

I only had a few days there and would have liked to visit the plant, but I spent the whole time with my cousin and his family. He's quite handy and showed me the geothermal system he installed in his house as well as the existing radiant system.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Nice work

for someone who's a little handy :) Notice how they insulate everything in Europe. Save the BTU's for the emmitters.

Paul, looks like you had a real nice time and I have to agree the beer is good. I liked the Hoegardeen.

Scott

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Alan

What type of pipe and fitting system is he using in that picture?
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    How about camouflage mucky snort color - no buttons needed

He also started the glorious fashion of handing out tons of medals, shiny ones, like the buttons, heh heh heh. Worthy of getting your ear pulled by the emperor himself.

Thanks for the good pictures of the artistic looking header, good you didn't fall for the touristy Maneken-Pis, he too is about as big as Napoleon.

Big ideas of Napoleon went far around the world, the big one is how he instituted a highly bureaucratic state that regulated and policed everything and everyone. We have plenty of that today. He powered his state with the new set of laws that kept all the might in his hands. Prior to him it wasn't so at all. The old system was similar in many ways to what we currently have today, like the British, a system where everyone has to fight it out, equally equipped with lawyers and arms.

I've read that the French (and other continental) police and justice systems aren't highly pleased with the Hollywood cop shows where ordinary citizens have their rights read to them. Bad example. When a Frenchman gets arrested and he clamors for his Miranda rights -like he sees on the TV- the police clobbers him. Guilty. Amazingly, our very own Louisiana is powered with the same Napoleonic Code; a shining success, is it?

If you can't wipe your tears on your sleeve, at least you can drown your sorrow over your loss of freedom in Napoleon brandy. The French lost everything with their revolutions, population, wealth, status; after Waterloo, the world stage moved on to colonial Britain. Brandy was the modern way of fitting wine into Meal-Ready-to-Eat packages. Just dilute back with water and kazaam you've got wine again.

On the heating front, Napoleon regulated the way people buy and sell fire wood (still today) with government approved universal measuring sticks, pff.

And back on the menu, Napoleon only liked eating chicken and had no use for French cookery - see why everyone welcomed the bifteck. They welcomed it again in WWII and again today.

I'm not yet out of steam, but I'll stop. Thanks for reading along.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    The swoopy fittings and rams horn T's

almost seem like drainage fittings the side inlet on the swoopy 90's seem to add a , cert an Je ne sais quois "/:)

:)they look stout whatever they are made of :)

the rad pannel i like because it reminds me of food:) it almost looks like a great big trisket buiscuit:)
This discussion has been closed.