Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wrightsoft software

Options
Chad_5
Chad_5 Member Posts: 4
I would like to get some feedback on some of the software packages that are out there. We are a small company and I do all the quotes/bids and I also do the selling. It takes alot of time put these proposals together since I try to offer a Good, Better, Best scenario. I'm looking at two different packages Wrightsoft Right Suite Residential and Oppertunity Interactive. We are almost exclusivly residential new const. and retro fit. Would like to hear anything about your experiences with either one. Thanks in advance.

Chad

Comments

• A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    Options
    Design software

Chad the only software that I use is Wrightsoft so I am very limited in my personal experence. That being said it is a very comprehensive program that will allow you to do that your looking for. Start out with a couple of modules to build on and expect a learning curve.
  • Pete Groenewold_2
    Pete Groenewold_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Chad, I've been running WrightSoft residential for around three years now. I also use the Right-$ and Right-Duct modules. My thoughts:

Pros: Easy-to-use interface. Just draw out the floor plan and the program does the heavy lifting. You don't have to mess around with cryptic codes, nor do you (usually) need to calculate wall areas unless they are made of several different materials. You can easily do "what-if" analyses. For example, if you add insulation to the attic, how much will you save annually? How about a 14-SEER A/C vs. the existing 8-SEER unit? It's easy to quantify those improvements with this program. The program has a manufacturer's database filled with a variety of HVAC equipment. For example, if you select a Bryant 355MAV042060 furnace, the program will automatically input its CFM, AFUE, and heat output into your calculations.

Other pros: If you have an AutoCAD file, you can quickly import it into Wrightsoft. Although you can't edit the file within Wrightsoft, you can trace over it - which definitely speeds the design process. With the duct module, you just enter in a few parameters and the program will automatically size your ducts for you. Finally, I think it produces reasonably professional-looking results.

Cons: The program has adjustable parameters sprinkled in various places throughout the program. For example, you enter the ceiling height when you right-click the individual room on the drawing screen. However, the elevation of each layer is entered elsewhere. The two are not linked, so inconsistencies are possible. For example, it's possible that your "basement layer" would be at an elevation of -9'. But if you right-click a room in the basement, you can tell the program the room is only 8' tall. I'm not sure whether this drastically affects the calculations, but my point is that you need to become EXTREMELY familiar with the program before you blindly trust its results.

Other cons: I have noticed a handful of bugs that are quite annoying. For example, the program doesn't like my two-year old laser printer. The border around the page is printed backwards and upside-down. I am forced to print my files to an Adobe Acrobat PDF, and then dump the PDF to my printer. The print preview screen also takes several minutes to generate (my PC is three years old; it's not THAT slow). These may seem like minor quibbles, but if I'm spending close to $2k on a piece of software, I want the d**n thing to work.

Chad, in summary it's not the miracle program that the Wrightsoft marketing department would like you to believe. However, it's still incredibly useful. Knowing what I do now, I think I would still buy it again.

E-mail me if you would like more info.

Regards,

Pete
  • Pete Groenewold_2
    Pete Groenewold_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Right-Suite Commercial?

Chad, I'd like to piggyback onto your thread if you don't mind. I'm considering purchasing Right-Suite Commercial, and would appreciate any feedback from those who have experience with it.

I've been using the trial version the past couple of days, and since I already have Right-Suite Residential, the learning curve has been truly minimal. I'm just wondering whether you users have found that your investment of time and money has been justified.

Also, have you found the 2-line duct module (residential OR commercial version) to be useful, or is it more of a "bells and whistles" thing.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
This discussion has been closed.