Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #2

Options
carl_13
carl_13 Member Posts: 1
Okay. Thanks. I know I need enough room to get at it and spin it out but I didn't know if there is a rule of thumb on additional clearance since it does get hot when closed.

Comments

• carl_12
    carl_12 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    gorton#2 question

1.) How much clearance around a Gorton #2 main vent should be left to combustibles?

Specifically, I have a Gorton #2 on a riser off the end of my main which consists of a combination of various nipples and 45's to get it up under a stairwell to allow sufficient height above the main (the cellar ceiling being so low at that point)

Under that same stairwell are also lots of electrical wires, an electrical junction box, wood framing, etc. etc.

So, how much surround clearance (in inches) should be between the Gorton #2 and everything else?

2.) Also, should the nipple risers for main vents be insulated like all the other piping or left exposed?

Thanks
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Clearance

Combustion is not a problem with the low temperature it will reach.You would need to service the vent in the future so leave access...I would be concerned about the direction of the vents venting ,It may spit out steam.. Insulation would not hurt on a long riser....
This discussion has been closed.