Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot tub heating

Options
Ted_9
Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
This spa has electric heat. Can this be converted to hydronic? Its a Dimension One Spas Model Diplomat. What do I need to look for.

PATRIOT HEATING & COOLING, INC.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=343&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    You have to ask yourself...

is it worth it? Here in Denver, it cost me $1.00 per day to heat my hot tub electrically. I could heat it for probably 60 cents per day with gas, but what's it going to cost me to git'er done?

2 to 3 grand retail? Makes the economics look pretty poor...

ME
  • Ted_9
    Options

Customer is paying $60.00 a (EDIT) MONTH to heat it electricly. We are planning to do radiant and possible complete heating system upgrade.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Now we know the hot tub is

100 feet long, 200 feet wide and 20 feet deep - in Alaska and on a glacier to boot!

That explains everything (;-o)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    $1800.00 per month

to keep a tub of water hot! Wow, seems like an odd use of energy. That's more than most house payments :)

How large of a tub? Insulated and covered? Even if you could cut that cost by 1/3 seems like a waste of energy for a luxury, ocassional use, heat load.

hot rod

• Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    I hope..

that'sa typo. In either case, I guess the answer is YES, it's worth it. Installation is quite simple. Control logic is a bit touchy, but most tub manufacturers should be able to give you accurate control with simle dry output contacts.
  • Ted_9
    Options
  • Ted_9
    Options
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    Well I'll be....

Thats no bigger than mine. I'm at 7 cents per kwh. I idle mine an donly heat it up a few hours before use. Maybe shes keeping it hot all the time...

Also, on the dwg I generated, its not shown, but the spa filter is before the secondary take off to the HX so you lessen the chances of fowling the HXer.

ME
  • Ted_9
    Options

Thanks Mark. Will the spa supplies have these items?

• Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    They may have the controls package...

but I doubt they'll have the shell and tube HXer, but ya just never know. Triangle Tube makes a good S&T HXer. The secondary tees and the ball valve will probably be PVC, and the existing hot tub pump is all you need. On a hot tub call for heat, the hot tubs pump is started on low speed, and the dry contacts closed, sending signal to the heat source to fire up.

ME
  • jerry scharf_3
    jerry scharf_3 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    another way

ME,

I'm not a fan of the partially closed valve to feed the HX. I would use a second circ pump with closely spaced tees on the HX loop. Then, you can filter without necessarily running water to the HX.

You are right on about the location of the filter.

Just another way to do things.

jerry
  • rb_6
    rb_6 Member Posts: 222
    Options
    Our Hot Tub

didn't come with a women looking like that ...what up with that! The consumer complaint department is gonna hear about this one.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    A word of caution...

If you choose to use a separate pump on the HX side, it MUST be UL approved for that application, and Taco and Grundfos are not, in their normal circulator lines.

ME
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Options
    Mine is actually...

a one man 6 woman hot tub!

ME
  • michael_15
    michael_15 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Might be easier

Just to buy a new hot tub. New ones have extra-thick insulation and apparently only use up about 6-7 kW-h/day, which translates to about a dollar where I live. Otherwise, you're trying to make your heating more efficient but not solving the problem of an energy-inefficient tub. It's like putting a marble toilet in a portapotty.

The cover on our hot tub developed an imperfection which allowed heat to escape through it. Our heating bills skyrocketed to around $3/day (electric) to keep it warm. New covers are only about $400-$500 for hot tubs of the size you've shown.

-Michael
  • Ted_9
    Options

Good point Michael. I suspect that its a newer unit, but I'll look into it further.

This discussion has been closed.