Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Resume

Options
REF
REF Member Posts: 61
A resume from a potential job applicant. I think it is important that we have a professional environment at the company. I always had one ready, and still do. Well, just some thoughts on this would be great. What do you do at your company? We have had some great calls, but then no resume. Strange.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Richard Fox
Hometown H&C INC.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    confused

Why wouldn't you expect a resume? I maintain a complete resume and update it even if I have no intention's of leaving. I believe it show's pride in one self..
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    resume

Sorry to say in this bussiness there,s not to many of them as for myself i once wrote one consisting of all the different types of hvacr systems i've installed and all the different types of work abilities and knowledge that i had to offer to a company and found that most jobs i applied to didn't even do most of that scope of work any way and it seems to that the bottom line is what are you lookin for some one who follows or some one who leads and pushes other and has good work ethics and skills .I've always gone with my gut when it says it's good it usually is in my case i hate to say i've been offered jobs but some thing maybe sit right with me and i'de pass the offer i,ve even left companies because for lack of any quality in there work .What i guess is the right guy shows up and he probalby won,t have a resume because he's to busy out there working and learning and hopefully you will get a good gut feeling good luck and peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • REF
    Options
    Pride

Exactly what I am looking for. I agree it does show pride. I work in the field, but find time for paperwork, phone calls, etc.. Thanks for the replies.

REF
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    My thought Clammy

is; if a prospective hire is unable to identify what they have done or thinks they are capable of doing(on paper) it falls to you to try and figure if their "gift of gab" is matched by their "show me skills". I think it saves time to have a referenced starting point from which performance can be measyred. JMHO
  • joel_24
    joel_24 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    resume

no resume = no job with our company , except for the high school kids we hire for the summer to fetch tools and stuff.
  • REF
    Options
    I got one!

and it was terrible. If you cannot take the time to do a good resume, how could I think you would have pride in your daily tasks. YIKES...

Hope to get more.

REF
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    instead of collecting resumes,and wasting countless ...

hours of other peoples time ,what about doing them and you a favor and trust your word.hire and work with people who are into accomplishing something in thier lives...?What a Revolutionary idea! *~/:)
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    my personal opinion

I can tell more about a guy in a 30 min comversation than all the resumes in the world. It's pretty tough to BS a guy who has been in the field awhile when you are face to face
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Jeff... your right, resumes are usually a bunch of puffed up BS.

The fact is, most people are hired by interview, not by a resume.

• Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Resume

The resume is similiar to our occupational licenses.
    Because you have either a license or a resume doesn't make you a better mechanic.

However it does reveal something about yourself.
    Do you plan for the future.
    Do you have the ability to structure your thoughts and experiences on paper.
    Have you spent time reflecting on where you have been and where you are going.

For myself, I value both the occupational license and the resume.

Keith
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options

I understand the business attitude of giving a resume.

Maybe it's "Emily Post" stuff.

In my opinion, based on experience, the motto of Missouri might be the real factor in hiring.

al
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Keep in mind...

A resume is not supposed to get you a job.

The purpose of a resume is to get an interview.

The purpose of the interview is to see if the candidate and employer want to work together.

Resumes are a screening tool. This is one of the most mis-understood points of the business world I can think of.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    Ken

You may be correct, from a trade related perspective where most skill sets are specifically similar but;

what about from a female office staff point of view?

Ms Boiler Dudette poses this perspective;

Having been out of the work force (as a result of "downsizing) and trying to break back in, she has found that employers may not read a resume and see it as your life's work. If it is not in their ideal format, the resume either gets tossed aside or burried under countless others. It appears the cover letter is more important to making the HR person want to read a resume to create interst to secure an interview.

How about some thoughts on this.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    There is no

"trade related perspective where most skill sets are specifically similar but; what about from a female office staff point of view"? (Whatever that means...)

There are job openings, there are resumes and there are people who will get jobs - by virtue of employers that hire.

Networking is far more effective than cover lettered resumes. Being at the right place at the right time with the right credentials and/or attitude - make the real world I live in go around.

I'm not sure this response answers the question(s) you posed, but then, I didn't understand your question that well either. Can you break it down to elements - rather than a combined comment/question?

The minute an applicant says hello to a potential screener or a "you're hired" decision-maker starts up a dialogue, the interview has already begun. How the interviewee handles it - usually determines the outcome. It is an uncommonly simple process.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    Good point Ken,

You are exactly on point, when the interviewer has previous knowledge of the interviewee from a source within the company it makes a big difference, a sponsor so to speak.

Happy Easter
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    proof is in the results

No doubt the bottom line is does the applicant have the right stuff.

What's the matter with taking the time to summerize your skills and experiences?

From the decision making side of the table it establishes what the applicant brings to the table. The company also needs to identify what it stands for.

How does this not make sense?
This discussion has been closed.