Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Antique Rads

Shawn Woodrow
Shawn Woodrow Member Posts: 10
I have a customer that has some great old rads but one has sprung a leak. We are going to try to braze it but as some of you may know this doesn't always work. i was hoping someone could help us locate more of these things or even info on them. The castings have "PEOPLES RADIATOR PATENTED JUNE 28 1830" cast into them. The sections are horizontal with two tubes each section.(see attached picture) Short of trying to measure this thing to figure out the square feet of radiation it has i don't know how to size it. Our customer wants to keep "the integrity of his home" by trying to use the same units or something that would match the period and style of his home. Any help would be appreciated.


  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,477

    Check out this web page.
    Burnham has finally realised that there is a demand for turn of the "last" century radiators.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,710
    I think that's a \"Whittier\" radiator

    if not it's almost a twin of the Whittier. This was one of the first cast-iron radiators. In the late 1800s, the Whittier was sold by the H.B. Smith Co.

    I have H.B. Smith's 1896 catalog- if you measure the height, length and depth of that old beauty I can give you the rating in square feet EDR. You can use the rating to locate a replacement. Your best bet would be an ornate column radiator, I doubt you'll find another Whittier out there!

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Thats a piece of ART -- not just a radiator

  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    I'm in love....................................................

    where's that puppy leakin'? I'd fix it one way or another. I have fixed many a rad like that by drilling and tapping cracks, sand holes et al... I would even try a nice 2 part epoxy before giving up. If all else fails, I'll trade you one of mine for that - gots lots of ornate ones. Mad Dog

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Easy Mad Dog

    With all that frothing at the mouth, people will really think you lost it :):) I'll explain it's a "natural" reaction. lol However, I do TOTALLY agree with ya!
  • Shawn Woodrow
    Shawn Woodrow Member Posts: 10
    the leak

    This most recent leak looks like a sand hole. It is in the bottom of the middle section on the joint near the column. I'm not sure how this one is put together I'm assuming it is push nipple so I can't seperate the sections. I agree about doing what ever it takes to repair it luckily so does my customer. We are still looking for others like this to replace some in other rooms that have been removed and replaced with all different types over the years. We don't have any thing this ornate or unique in our stock. Our customer wants rads like this or just as unique and period.
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 763

    Is is steam or hot water?

    Dave in Denver
    Dave Stroman
  • Shawn Woodrow
    Shawn Woodrow Member Posts: 10
    rad type

    it is water
This discussion has been closed.