Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gill and Pajek Venting Capacity Charts

Options
John S.
John S. Member Posts: 260
Just curious, you had mentioned flow paths...

It might be interesting to test a couple of different manifold configurations for main vents. I'm guessing here, but I have come to believe the flow is restricted using a bull-headed tee on a vent manifold.

Comments

• Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
    Options
    Gill and Pajek Venting Capacity Charts

I just got the Gill and Pajek ebook. Very informative. The venting rates are much lower than previously reported.

Question: I can't seem to find the venting rate for an open 1/8" threaded hole, as would be in a radiator? Did I miss this somewhere? Anyone know the answer?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    i'm gathering more stuff

to test..i'll test an 1/8th inch pipe nipple also..hadn't thought of that..good idea..were testing using flowmeters, previous data was extrapolated..we have noticed that at such low venting pressures, the flow path characteristics play just as important a part as the orifice size..so even knowing the 1/8th inch open pipe rate may not be exactly what your radiator can do due to its unique flow path characteristics..but its at least a reasonable assumption then based on something that was measured..i'll put it on the list..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Robert O'Connor_11
    Robert O'Connor_11 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Gerry & Steve

Thanks for the great resource. It compliments my Dead Mens Steam School book nicely!

Do you have the capacity of a Dole # 1 ?

Again thank you!!

All the best

Robert

ME
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    And you guys that are buying this

are also buying books for poor children so that they may learn to read better. Bless you for that.
    Retired and loving it.
  • gerry gill
    Options
    haven't tested

the dole #1 cause i haven't been able to get my hands on one..iv'e done the best i could scounging around cleveland, and john shea has sent stuff from detroit, but i'm sure there is tons more to test out there..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• gerry gill
    Options
    we did play with this

using gorton #2 main vents, and it didn't seem to matter..our thoughts were cause the pipe was still plenty big..but the smaller the pipe, the smaller the opening, the more torturous the path, the more it matters..for example, when we tested radiator traps the readings are all taken in the normal direction of flow..one would think it would be the same if tested from the outlet backwards..nope, not so..but the only difference is the flow path characteristics..all the internal parts, openings are all the same..

• Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
    Options

One suggestion for any revisions to your ebook. If you could include charts or formulas that show how to measure the volume of air in both pipe and rads it would be most helpful. Thanks.
  • Hitzkup
    Hitzkup Member Posts: 63
    Options
    trv's

Will the use of a trv, change the capacity of the air valve?

Mark sch
  • gerry gill
    Options

This discussion has been closed.