Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1st steamer of the season

Options
We had to split it to get it down - lotta turns and a tight staircase . Both system mains were 2 1/2 inch , so we dropped the header into a 3 inch boiler main . We also rerouted a dry return so Kenny wouldn't scrape any more skin off his head . The homeowner decided to get rid of the gas boiler and let us install a coil in the oil boiler for the 2 zones of baseboard . That'll be in the near future .

Comments

• for our company

This was an old Weil Mclain . What a tight spot . Sandwiched between a small 2 zone gas boiler and a gas heater . We had another company come and remove this for us yesterday . Me , Kenny and Sal installed the new one .
  • Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
    Options

Nice job. Wish you were in my area. Curious, is the old car siding/wood paneling burned in that first picture? In northern Minnesota the wood stove saunas are usually in a separate building because they will eventually combust when the ignition temperature of the wood gets low enough. Of course, we're talking some serious heat there.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    T.S. [ tight situation ]

nice piping job. sometimes we just disconnect the water heater and wheel it back in when the boiler is completed. a bit more labor intensive but sometimes well worth it for the time you save not being jammed in tight.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    that is the Coolest little pinner boiler...

who makes them? it has a six " flue...does that mean it has 140K btus or there abouts? it looks like a real munchkin :)

it looks like 3/4 gas feeding it hmmm...it must be a bad boy :) seriously , i think i coud dig one of those in propane...it could be 60 percent efficent it would be a deal...i can see it in my tool collection *~/:)

i like the header on the steamer looks tidy :)
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    awesome ron

Hey ron awesome as always i,m on a sort of vacation for a another 11 days but my arms are awaiting spinning some steel love that drop header that thing is the cats meow how long did it take you to install her and how happy was the ho when they saw that job there oil comsumption will drop like a stone in the lake just on shear amount of cast iron and probaly a clean boiler again awesome work you are one hell of a installer hats off to you peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Another amazing upgrade...

... I imagine that the old boiler take-offs/header worked OK, but the honking drop-header you installed in it's place is just an amazing work of cast-iron/steel art. The header should go a long way towards sending very dry steam on its way, regardless of which main it needs to go.

The old Hydrotherm sitting next to its big brother looks like David vs. Goliath! I think your approach of tying those circuits in with a coil make a lot of sense. Besides, the Hydrotherm looks like it was on its last legs also.

The "Defender" water heater had me laughing out loud. It's tragic to see so much money being spent on making a water heaters safer by shielding their flames while non-sealed boilers, furnaces, vented log sets, dryers, etc. are allowed almost everywhere.

Your pipework and electrical work is flawless and plumb, as best as I can tell. The homeowner must be giddy with delight. It's too bad that he/she didn't let you replace the oil line as well..
  • I think it was

stained a different color , I really didn't take a close look . The wood was about 2 feet away from the front of the boiler jacket . Another 2 feet to the cast iron itself . Thanks Bob , what are are you in ?
  • We do that also

with an indirect or aquabooster or oil fired heater if it's in the way . This situation was a little delicate . We wanted to keep the hot water on all day for this homeowner , who was lets say a bit eccentric . Thanks alot Bob .
  • It was a tiny Hydrotherm

I think the net was 50,000 or so , it looked like a Bic lighter was heating the boiler . It did look like there was a 2nd burner in there or maybe an option for one . Thanks Weez , I take real pride in the near boiler piping .
  • The easiest part of the job

is making up the drop in the header and twinning in the 2 boiler risers . That took about 1/2 hour . The hard part was lining up the 2 boiler mains - with a limited supply of 2 1/2 inch nips and fittings . Me and Kenny can usually knock out all the header piping on a 2 main steamer in 2 hours or so . This job we had to wait for extra stuff . With the tight quarters we finished the header around 2ish . Thank you very much Clammy for the kind words .
  • Yep

The lady of the house told us she never heard a peep from the steam system , and she wasn't going to let us leave till she knew everything was running right . Of course I mentioned that we will have to go back and give it a more thorough skim and cleaning - one of the 3 returns was really clogged with spooge .

I know some people only like to hear about data done by true testing , but in my gut I know the drop in the header sends out drier steam than no drop at all . Since it's a dying art I highly doubt any type of testing will ever be done to prove my point .

The lady of the house decided to go with the coil for heat while we were there . She told us about a notice she got about gas jumping at least 27 percent very soon . We'll be back there soon to get rid of that little toy .

These new water heaters are a sick joke . I've only installed 2 so far , both of them I had to dismantle the front and pull the burner assemblies . The 1st one I accidentally dropped a tiny amount of water down the flue hole and some went into the pilot tube . I couldn't light the pilot after trying for 1/2 hour . It didn't help that the scews holding it in were Torx , and I don't carry Torx . The 2nd one we could not get the pilot to stay lit . We pulled the burner and moved the thermocouple into the pilot flame and all was well .

Actually the homeowner could not care less about the piping . She was on our case about having the gas boiler off while we worked . Well , there was no way I was gonna burn my arms , face , privates , on that flupipe all day . But she was happy when we got it all up and running . Thanks alot Constantin for you response .
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

Amazing, I don't know how much you make but you are worth double.
This discussion has been closed.