Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello vs. Beckett

Options
thp_8
thp_8 Member Posts: 122
> It burns a little cleaner and a little more <BR>
> efficiently. Riello also uses less electricity. <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    Riello vs. Beckett

When a customer asks why does the Riello cost more than the Beckett, how do you answer? Is it really better? How, why etc.
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options

It burns a little cleaner and a little more efficiently. Riello also uses less electricity.
  • thp_8
    thp_8 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Not to bash but,

When a Riello is tuned correctly the first time, your done. They hold on to the settings and seem to run prefect forever.
    But if your not used to them, they seem to be like working on a fine swiss watch with a sledge hammer.
  • Supply House Rick
    Options
    Is there...

A mechanical difference? Other than less electricity? What are the features & benefits? Something tangible that a customer will understand? Where's Mark Hunt when you need him...
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

I usually say you get what you pay for. Beckett is like a chevy and the other is a bmw They both get you there but one does it so much better than the other.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Years ago the Packard

Motor Car Co. used to have a great sales line, 'ask the man who own's one'.

Years ago there were huge differences in them, now those differences, PSC motors, electronic interrupted ignition and by-pass pumps are virtually gone.

The remaining and maybe biggest difference is that Riello manufacturers 100% of it's own components. Carlin is next in the manufacturing business of oil and gas burners and then there's everyone else.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    I think....

They both have their place and the decision should be left to a qualified pro. The price difference ISN'T all that much in the big picture anymore.
    Reliability is a big seller for Riello. We bought a "repair kit" for them at the last company I worked for, and it went virtually untouched for 3 years. An occasional cad cell, maybe a capacitor but the motor and control sat ther for at least 6 years before being needed. (One motor went underwater, and a trip to the local NAPA store had the bearings in my hand the next day, and back into service it went.)

As long as the folks who have to service them are TRAINED to do so, they will work wonderfully....but so won't all other burners serviced properly. JMHO. Chris
  • Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 93
    Options

I find the Heat Wise burner gets as good a burn as the Reiello but without all the proprietary parts.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Differences

It is easier to see the difference. Working on all oil equipment I get to see the differences. Everything burns clean in a Burnham where a Riello burns cleaner in a Peerless. I change many ignitors in American burners as opposed to Riellos. I'll pose this question, how many sooted/plugged boilers has anyone seen with a Riello vs American burners? In my case it has been very few with Riello's.

Leo
  • Rich P.
    Rich P. Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Differences

The differences
    A. automatic electric air shutoff stopping air flow through appliance when burner is off
    B. Dc ignition, oil valve should not open unless spark is sensed through electrode.. also unlikely to jump to ground
    C. Quiet cover, keeps fingers out
    D. Burner fan very sturdy less likely to vibrate over time
    E. Set it and forget it
    F. oily residue not near air inlets so lint doesnt stick
    G. Ignites under all kinds of adverse situations, positive overfire draft, wet chamber(Yuk)etc..
    H. You can sell as Euro update
    I Did any one mention reliable
    J. How about pioneer's in burner design

Don't get me wrong I use AFG's in the System 2000 Ek1
    and its crazy quiet and easy to service

Rich Palmieri
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Riello

Proprietary is the key word. As if I don't have enough parts to carry. Standardization is a concept the Europeans never seemed to grasp.
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Maybe why their

oil market is so big???

The oil industry was at its largest point when all American fueldealers were branded oilburner dealers, just something to think about!
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Riello

I used to use the line that the 2 biggest oil dealers in America used this burner excluvisely due to safety and reliability.(no spark, no oil & 3 sec. safety timing.) This was referring to Petro and Meenan. Today, I really don't know if they still use the burner as much as they did in the 80's(Ron Jr. always seems to have one on every job), but it was something they could grasp.
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Just as Chris said

The Riello repair kit I bought 3 1/2 years ago has only been opened once when we bought it to make sure all the parts are in it. Riello pretty much forced the other burner manufacturers to step up to the plate and upgrade their equipment. The Riello oil pump does not pull as well as a Suntec but once you get the oil line primed you are good to go. On a side note my little Riello screwdriver I got at a trade show has the most powerful magnet on Earth attached to it.

Darin
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    In 5 years as corporate

trainer I never promoted the sale of parts kits, FAT!

My idea was keep an extra burner around steal from that (when needed). Then replace part onto spare and sell as next burner in. Worked for many, still does.
  • Dirk Wright
    Dirk Wright Member Posts: 142
    Options

Thanks for the tip on Heat Wise. Never heard of them until today. They have some really fine looking burners! I think they are killer expensive though.
  • Supply House Rick
    Options
    So

Less repairs is the answer? I was asked point blank the other day "why is the Riello $100+ more?" I quess the correct response is-mechanical reliability is better than the Beckett, quieter, less electricity, better efficiency. On Monday I will call Beckett and Riello. I will let you know what they say...Thanks
    Rick
This discussion has been closed.