Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Field Opportunity for SCCC Students

A colleague of mine is having an extension put on the house. Of course, the addition needs to be heated and cooled. There were four companies (names omitted) that came to the house and each company came to a different conclusion about what should be done with the air conditioning system and the associated ductwork.

One company concluded that the existing air conditioning system could be used as well as the existing ductwork. All that would have to be done is to add a duct section to the existing air distribution system.

Company two concluded that the existing ductwork is ovesized and that it can be reused, but the air conditioning syhstem would have to be replaced with a larger system.

Company number three said that the air conditioning system is properly sized but the duct system needs to be replaced.

And finally, you guessed it, the fourth company said that both the equipment and the air distribution system must be replaced.

The SCCC students that are presently taking their design class will be meeting at the home tomorrow to perform a complete Manual J and Manual D on the house. This will give the guys (and girls) an opportunity to "practice" on a real-life house as well as clear the air for the homeowner.

The students are indeed looking forward to this and I will keep you posted when all of the calculations are in!

Comments

• I often say

the best education is right in the trenches . Keep us updated on what conclusions they come to .

And don't forget about my little idea about combining the forces of your students and Oil Heat Cares to help someone in need . I'll lend a hand if the idea takes off .
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    We Did the Measuring

Last night (Monday) my students and I converged on the unsuspecting house in Commack, NY to begin our evaluation of the heat loss/heat gain of the structure.

We first examined the blueprint of the house and then broke up into small groups, each of which had a specific task to accomplish.

Some evaluated the existing air conditioning and heating equipment, some evaluated the existing duct system, while others measured the rooms and made note of the internal loads in the structure.

The entire process took us about an hour and then we headed back to the classroom to begin our discussion and inital calculations.

Thanks to Sharon, our homeowner who graciously opened her door to us and gave the SCCC students the opportunity to put into practice what they are learning in the classroom.

Results to follow.
This discussion has been closed.