Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suggestions for Digital Cameras

Options
Rich W
Rich W Member Posts: 175
8 megs, anti-vibration, movies with sound, tons of exposure options or full auto, huge bright screen, excellent close-ups...most important it's weather-proof...condensation killed my old cam. All for $349. I paid $600 for the old 2 meg.

PS. I take atleast 20pics per day and the battery lasts about 2 weeks between charges (charger included).

Comments

• Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    Time for a new one

My Kodak LS443 once again went down after being repaired for what appears to be the same problem 7 months ago and of course the warranty is out. Any suggestions for a unit that will give reliable life longer than 2 1/2 years. We recentlly purchased another Kodak and it has problems right of the the box, so its good bye Kodak, but not sure if there are any better out there.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Olympus

I don't know what model it is, but it's 4 meg/pix and I love it. I like the fact that the shutter has a slide closure so I don't scratch the lens. I use it on all installs for before and after pic's. The customers seem to like it. Battery's go fast though,.....I often Robb my mini mag light in emergency's.;-)

Also go to googleearth.com and get the free satalite program (it's free). When you bill the customer, give them a before and after pic, and a view of their house from 1000 ft. They always ask how did you get that!!!. Make a statement. Sorry to rant and rave...;-)

Mike T.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    I have had many good experiences with...

... the Powershot series of cameras. Small, lots of pixels, and a relatively decent auto-focus-assist light to help focus when you're underground.

The definitive place to go for advice is Steve's Digicams, which is a bit like the Wall when it comes to educating consumers... except in this case it's everything you ever wanted to know about digital cameras.
  • Garret
    Garret Member Posts: 111
    Options

Hey, something I know about.

Take a good look at the Canon S2 IS and Panasonic Lumix series cameras. Both are very well made, and have good lenses. I'm guessing you'll be using the camera for more than just taking pics of boilers. :) You definitely want at least 4 megapixels, but it's probably better to get 5-6 if you want to use the camera for several years.

I went for the S2 IS for home use, but we have a couple of the Lumix FZ5's at work... they're very similar cameras, in that they have very sensitive lenses (f2.8 - f3.5 throughout the zoom range). Most importantly, they both have optical image stabilization, which helps reduce motion blur from camera shake (particularly in indoor/low light conditions).

Quick edit: The Canon powershot series is indeed a good option... they're a bit smaller than the S2 body style, and less pricey too. No image stabilization, and the lens isn't as sensitive, but they're good basic digital cameras.

-Garret
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Check out

The Sony Cyber-Shot. Specifically the S-90. Seach the web for it. What's nice about this one is that it comes with 2 recargable AA'a and the charger. The only thing you need is the case.

I got mine last December and love it. Hopefully it's still available. I don't think you can get from Sony. May be an older model, but well worth the look. 4.1 M Pixels. Nice big screen too.
  • Joannie_11
    Joannie_11 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Cannon Powershot

I have had my Powershot for over a year, and it's been a great camera! I'd recommend it highly. There are a bunch of different styles within that Powershot family, with a range of features. Mine takes movies with sound (limited only by the size of the memory card you have in it) and it's easy to use, lots of different modes for the type of picture you're taking, and the pictures from it have been great!
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    ps

I just saw the Sony S-90 online for $205.00

• Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    digi cameras

I have had a Nikon Coolpix 885 that I bought late 2001. the darn thing still works great!! I was actually shocked to see I have had it this long, I had to backtrack to some of the first pics I took with it and check when they were taken. It has been extremely reliable.

Problems I have had with it are-
    1)if you forget to turn it off, it will kill the battery, even though it goes to a standby mode.

2)The focus speed is not as fast as I am used to with my Canon EOS-3. I have had a lot of moments where I would try to take a pic of my niece or nephew and there is a lag between pressing the button, and when the shutter opens and closes. I think that this problem is pretty much the same with all digital cameras priced at 400 bucks and under back then. I am sure they are better now.

Even with the above mentioned complaints this camera has been excellent. It always works when I turn it on, (as long as the battery is good). Pictures are very sharp, I think it is capable of 3.2 or so mega pixels.

I basically use this camera for work, or anytime I need to take quick digital pics for use on internet, etc. You should look for one that uses AA batteries for when you need fresh batteries in a hurry.

For strictly personal use- I am a 35mm slide film junkie, I have a Canon EOS-3 that I purchased with a bunch of nice lenses (before I had a lot of bills), and I refuse to change. I shoot Fuji Velvia 100 slide film for almost everything, and I use Fuji 160NR for people shots. I get film developed thru a pro mail order shop, then scan what I like into my computer. I take a lot of special once in a lifetime photos for family (baptisms, weddings, etc) and it's a hobby I like. I use a slide scanner that scans at 42 mega pixels. There is no fancy digital camera that can do that yet, and I don't feel like laying down 2k bucks for a camera that will be obsolete in 2 years. One day I will probably buy a digital back when I have a couple extra bucks, but that will probably not be in the foreseeable future!!!

Enjoy!

Cosmo Valavanis
  • Brian_18
    Brian_18 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Canon Powershot.. is my pick

I've had (still do, hard time throwing stuff out) Sony, Kodak, and Nikon. All had their good...and bad points. My current point & shoot is a Canon Powershot, older model (3.3 mega pix)does a better job than all my previous. For Xmas, I bought my wife a current model Canon Powershot (4+ mega pix), and it is SUPERB.

Another nice piece is the Epson PictureMate Pro printer. Simple to use, just insert the memory stick, choose your photos, and print 4 x 6 boarderless photos. No need to even hook-up to a computer. Fabulous....and reasonable $$
  • Rich W
    Rich W Member Posts: 175
    Options

Momma took my Kodachrome away so I switched to Velvia. Then last year I sold my Nikon FM and goodies. Bought an Olympus E-1 and goodies. I miss the chrome but, PhotoShop is great.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Nikon D50

I researched heavily before buying the D50 Nikon 9 months ago. The battery charge is good for 2000 pics! The resolution ranges from 5-7mP depending upon settings. A 1 gig SD card holds over 250 pics at high resolution. Point and shoot or complete manual control. Great lens selection, seems comparable to the Canon, but has more features. About $650. these days.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.