Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fire in the hole! (CvW)

Options
Constantin
Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
As luck would have it, despite starting the new job, I was able to get some time off to appear before the BRBS to state our case...

...as you may all recall, the FD refused to sign off on our permanent Certificate of Occupancy, after a new inspector decided during the final inspection that we needed a external alarm bell, a fire department connection, and some other things (some of which were later retracted/amended/etc.). That, despite the FD division of prevention services signing off on the design, rough inspection, etc. previously.

None of the FD officers showed up to the BRBS, while my GC, our sprinkler installer and I made the trip downtown. Our sprinkler installer almost didn't make it into the meeting, because he forgot his ID and the meeting was being held in a courthouse (scanners, ID, etc. just like the airport). Luckily, a friendly state police officer printed him a temporary one in the cruiser (how cool is that). I guess the FD folk knew what the outcome would be, so why bother showing up.

The BRBS found entirely in our favor and was a bit peeved that the FD was encroaching on their space by interpreting the building code in ways that are inconsistent with logic and the FD role in the inspectional process. So, the FD has been ordered to sign the CO within 30 days, then we'll finally legally live in our home.

The vindication before the BRBS felt really good after all the preparation, the many confirmed-delivery letters, the heartache, etc. I am still considering pursuing the matter at a higher level in the FD... but that would require more time and I'm not sure I'll have it. Besides, for all that work to bear fruit would require a superior officer who is open to the notion that the people under his command are quite possibly fallible at times. That is a rare trait in many bureacracies.

So, many thanks for the well-wishes, sanity-checks, and the shoulders to cry on. Cheers!

Comments

• Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Congratulations

Sometimes you can beat city hall, and sometimes it takes fire to fight fire.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Good fight

and a good finish.

Enjoy for many years Constantin.

Jack
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Congratulations, Constantin

Sorry the road had to be as bumpy as it was. No need really. While I can respect the local FD (Always thank a Jake!), the administative side sometimes gets 'stuck on stupid'.

Rules are easier to cite than rational thought.

I think you have the safest house in town now.

Your mission now, if you choose to accept it, is indeed to educate the hierarchy. But tread lightly my friend. Nobody likes to be proven wrong and to give up deeply held yet light on logic beliefs.
  • Constantin
    Options
    wise words...

... and you don't know who they know in the other departments of the PRC city hall hierearchy that could make your life miserable.

On the other hand, if no one informs the superiors, then the mice will continue to play with wild abandon.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    It's wise to question \"authority\"

from time to time. Even the uppermost "deciders" make mistakes from time to time :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Constantin

Is this for a residential application? If so, wouldn't there use be voluntary? Which state are we talking about.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    One may as well ask which country.....

Constantin, shall we tell Robert about the People's Republic of Cambridge? :)
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    bravo

You narrowly escaped being tortured and abused by the sick and sadistic Nurse Ratchet. I went down that road once, and believe me you don't want to go there. Just as you get one Bureaucrat trained, he will retire early and his slot will get filled by a fresh-faced zealot with a newly-found pashion for power and a desire to make life miserable for The Troublemakers.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Good show! Am very happy for you!

"...FD was encroaching on their space by interpreting the building code in ways that are inconsistent with logic and the FD role in the inspectional process."

Sorry you had to go through the time, expense and trouble of court when the outcome appeared self-evident. I find it amazing that the FD chain-of-command was unaware of the term "not applicable".
  • Constantin
    Options
    Robert, I think you would have a field day...

... if someone asked you to evaluate the relationship between what laws some officers here are supposed to enforce vs. the laws they do enforce. Inspectors have a difficult job and if a hack makes into their corps, it makes it that much more miserable for the rest of us.

To answer your question, yes the fire system is voluntary, it meets 13D, and the BRBS felt that it also met all applicable MA codes that you could layer on top of that (CMR 780, section 9, et. al.). In other words, the issues the FD seemed to have once the new guard moved in were, in the view of the BRBS, not applicable.

As for Nurse Ratchet, they may yet send her my way. You never know.

Lastly, and most importantly, a big thank you goes out to Brad for putting me in touch with Maurice Pilette. While Mr. Pilette was not able to show up on our behalf, our telephone conversation gave me a lot of hope that the process would find in our favor. He also gave me some good tips on how to present our case, which was very helpful.
  • Constantin
    Options
    Thanks Mike!

I appreciate the support from all of you. It meant a lot to me!
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Thought of a suitably ludicrous analogy while heat stripping trim:

During the great depression a very wealthy riverboat captain built his dream home in my town. It's always been known as "the boat house" and visitors will ask, "What's the story of the house that looks like a boat?"

By your fire department's logic, the boat house would require lifeboats!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Congratulations

just think, your tax money was being used to harass you like that.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.