Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ball Valves

Paul Rohrs_5
Paul Rohrs_5 Member Posts: 134
Most valves have a WSP rating stamped on the other side which is "Working Steam Pressure".


<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=353&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>


  • Bob_73
    Bob_73 Member Posts: 4

    I was wondering if some one could tell me what the WOG that is stamp on the side of ball valves stands for...
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    here you go

    Water, Oil, Gas

    Cosmo Valavanis
  • Bob_73
    Bob_73 Member Posts: 4
    ball valves

    thank you Cosmo,my Boss gave me this mission to find out what it ment. He made a good point in saying that I should know seeing how I use them almost every day...lol
    thanks again Bob
  • Bob_73
    Bob_73 Member Posts: 4

    Thanks Paul, I'm sure that whould be the thing He'll ask.
  • Brad White_70
    Brad White_70 Member Posts: 12
    I always thought that was

    "Water Service Pressure", but you may be right.
  • Dave_12
    Dave_12 Member Posts: 77
    WSP on ball valves

    Paul is correct. WSP on ball valves stands for "Working Steam Pressure" and is generally a lower pressure that the WOG, or "Water, Oil, Gas" rating.
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    S,SP and WSP

    all mean the same. The maximum rated or working pressure corresponding to the steam temperature that must not be exceeded when the valve is used in steam service. CWP This is the maximum flow-medium pressure at the ambient temperature to which the valve may be subjected during normal service. This is also referred to as water-oil-gas(WOG) rating. These deffinitions are from Piping Handbook by Nayyar.
  • Brad White_70
    Brad White_70 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, Dave and Bob

    Always learning on The Wall...

    The only ball valves I specify for steam are Jamesbury-Neles, but maybe I can expand that list just a bit...

    Thanks again-

This discussion has been closed.