Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

co from antifreeze

Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
making sure I did not have a coincidence, I rechecked everything on the boiler including running the range, electric drier and all fans to make sure all was good.
Spent half the day on site then more time off calling my supplier and rep.

The leak was not even that bad, tops one cup.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Jim

Mitch S.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=388&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mitch_6
    co from antifreeze

I put a CGA boiler in last january, got a call Monday
    night. Funny smell from the boiler room, NSI 300 co alarm reading 12 ppm with peak of 18 ppm first floor near kitchen 9ppm and second floor 7ppm. Yes still low but whats up.

A full combustion, gas pressue and draft test was done on start up all was good.

We had applies 44% anti freeze to the system. Temperature pressure gage devleoped a leak that went over the sections and down into the Burner pan. I changed the gage, cleaned the pan and burners. As a precoution took apart the smoke pipe, checked the flue, fired the boiler and did again a compleat start up analysis all was good.

Rep from the boiler manufacturere stated that the antifreeze cooking off is what gave the co reading, question is was it co from a non toxic source or was it the sensor picking up a fals gas.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mitch_6
    co from antifreeze

I put a CGA boiler in last January, got a call Monday
    night. Funny smell from the boiler room, NSI 300 co alarm reading 12 ppm with peak of 18 ppm first floor near kitchen 9ppm and second floor 7ppm. Yes still low but whats up.

A full combustion, gas pressure and draft test was done on start up all was good.

We had applies 44% anti freeze to the system. Temperature pressure gage developed a leak that went over the sections and down into the Burner pan. I changed the gage, cleaned the pan and burners. As a precaution took apart the smoke pipe, checked the flue, fired the boiler and did again a complete start up analysis all was good.

Rep from the boiler manufacturer stated that the antifreeze cooking off is what gave the co reading, question is was it co from a non toxic source or was it the sensor picking up a false gas.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578

According to material safety data sheets Propylene glycol can produce carbon monoxide and other aldehydes when heated to higher temperatures.
  • Nick L. in Vt
    Nick L. in Vt Member Posts: 87
    co as by product

have seen small amounts from hi temp silicone and never seize type coumpounds

They call me "Hot Pipe"
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    just another ...

reason not to use glycol in heating systems...kpc

This discussion has been closed.