Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU's on baseboard ??

Keith M
Keith M Member Posts: 78
For Slant/Fin Fine/Line 30 series baseboard with 3/4" element the output at 120F is as follows.

At 1 GPM flow output is 209 BTUH per foot

At 4 GPM flow output is 220 BTUH per foot

Keith Muhlmeister

Slant/Fin Corporation

Comments

• Shaun Anderson
    Shaun Anderson Member Posts: 164
    How much BTU's per linear ft .....

would a guy get with 120 degree water on standard residencial baseboard. I would assume most manufacuters would be running the same average for btu's. My guess would be 200 btu's per linear ft. Has any one ever done this before and are there any problems to look out for ? All I have is just one room needing to add baseboard, rest on the house is radiant. 170 sq. ft for the room with 5000 btu's needed to heat room.

Shaun Anderson
  • Joe Mattiello_2
    Joe Mattiello_2 Member Posts: 94

Typically, baseboard has a 580 btu output per lineal ft. If you have 5000 btu load, then 9 ft of baseboard, and .5 gpm is required to satisfy the load.
    Joe Mattiello
    Technical Support Technician
    Tel. 401-942-8000 X 484
    Fax. 401-942-2360
    1160 Cranston St
    Cranston, RI 02920
    joemat@taco-hvac.com
  • Shaun Anderson

But thats with 180-190 degree water right ? If I wanted to go with lower temps then my btu's going to change, right ?

Shaun Anderson
  • stevel
    stevel Member Posts: 25

by my calculations you will need 29 ft of board
    with 1gpm flow, or 35 feet of board at 1/2 gpm flow
  • Shaun Anderson

Wells thats what I roughly came up with. I was thinking about 25' baseboard @ 1 gpm. My next question is has anyone done this before ? Design my baseboard at 120 supply with a 100 degree return. With outdoor reset that number will change too.

Shaun Anderson
  • Ted_13
    Ted_13 Member Posts: 40
    baseboard rating

i think that they only have ratings down to about 140ºF with with a high capacity baseboard can give you up to 420 Btu/LF at 4 GPM or 400 BTU/LF @ 1 GPM. I have always heard that with water temps lower than that the convection really drops off but I've never tried it. Check here

http://www.sterlingheat.com/litlibrary/ClassicBBSubmittal.pdf
  • Mike E_2
    Mike E_2 Member Posts: 81

I plotted the given numbers @ 4gpm for SlantFin Fine/Line 30 on a graph. Then I continued the curve for water temps down to 65. So these are just guesses, but they should be pretty close to what you get.

140 degrees - 340 BTU

130 degrees - 280 BTU

120 degrees - 220 BTU

110 degrees - 170 BTU

100 degrees - 120 BTU

90 degrees - 80 BTU

80 degrees - 40 BTU

70 degrees - 10 BTU

65 degrees - 0 BTU

Michael
This discussion has been closed.