Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PH of steam boilers

Options
jim_85
jim_85 Member Posts: 17
I have been working on a steam system in town,this is a
4 appartment house. The land lord called a week ago and claims that he is going throuth one gallon of oil on hour.
I went to the oil company and got all of the fuel records
for this heating season and the best we can figure is he is going throuth about eight gallons a day at this time of the year and about 17 gallons on the coldest day days ofthis year.
Now the cumbustion of the unit is still running within a percent or to from when I set the unit up in the fall.All of the tenants are complaining of different problems too hot or too cold.I have found a leak in a pipe in the basement and fixed it then I found another leak in the crawl space that I have yet to fix. the header piping is not insolated and was wondering if i insulate it if it would help some. I have only had acsses to one appartment so far and found two radiator valves leaking steam.All of the vents look like the romans them self must have installed them. When I was standing at the top of the stairs I was hearing a loud hissing hoise when I asked the elderly lady what was on the other side of the wall I was hearing the noise coming from she said it was the bath room radiator in the apartment next door figure there is a leak there to.
So I was wondering about the PH of the boiler if there could be a relation to the leaks I am finding and the PH.
I also was wondering wereto got a test kit to test the PH.
Would a pool supply have the wright tester to do this.
sorry so long,
Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Blackoakbob
    Blackoakbob Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Test supplies....

can be found in the drug store or call a known water treatment supplier. Speaking of which, are they using any treatment at all? The most basic is using softened feedwater and then on to steam line treatment and sulfites for oxygen control. The ph of the return condensate should be between 7 and 8.
    You may have just walked into a system that has been neglected too long and is in need of basic repairs ie. traps, vents and leaks from oxygen corrosion. There are a few reputable water treatment suppliers ( Rohmar on this site) out there that can get you on track for water treatment but it is a continuous effort. Water treatment is never done as it changes with load and season. Your make up water is important, the softer and least amount used, the better. Keep us informed as to what you find and repair, we'd like to hear more. Best Regards.
  • jim_85
    Options

There is no water softner in this house. they are just using the water the way that it comes off of the street that is suppied from the town. I have to get a hold of the land lord who doesn't live in town to explain the work that I need to do to the system. I am sure he will laugh at me if I mention a water softner he will most likly not care to go to suck an expence. The boiler had been repaced some time a couple of years ago. I don't know who did the work? I'm sure that if I can at least starty to treat the system it will help.If I start on that corse I can try to maintain the PH from there.I am also sure that if I can fix the steam leaks and the radiator vents,find the steam main and replace it or install one if there isn't he would notice a differince in the over all fuel bill.
  • jim...

Jim, can u post any pixs of this bolier.. Making sure u won't be walking into a "handyman's trap" that u'll get blame for any works that was done wrong in the past...
  • jim_85
    Options

I do not have a camera to take any pics. Somthing to look into though. I will make sure to make good records of any work that I do so I can show the land lord what I have done and try to back up any thing that he may have questions about with liturature.This system has been neglected by those who had been doing to sercice work on the system and there have been many,but all of them quallified to do the work but in too much of a hurry to take to time to check out things like piping and the over all care of the system. I used to work for several big oil compants in this area and found that they would tell me to do a compete job and found that when it really cam down to it they wanted me in and out as fast as possible and on to the next job whether wright or wrong.
This discussion has been closed.