Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking connections

Options
jeff_51
jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
I have never and I mean NEVER had a leak going from copper to steel or brass when I have used expando. As it heats, the product expands. Comes in a pint can and you have to mix it up with water.

Comments

• scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    Options
    leaking connections

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause leaks at the threaded copper connection at the main circulating pump? The pump and pipeing are new and have only gone through one heating season. The connection has been repaired twice. It seems to only leak after the water temp has cooled down after the boiler has sat without running for a day or two? I have also noticed green corrosion (like a drip) on the copper at the connection on two other circulator pumps but haven't seen any water.

New boiler and additional zones all installed at the same time?
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    Options
    leaking connections

Does anyone have an idea of what would cause leaks at the threaded copper connection at the main circulating pump? The pump and pipeing are new and have only gone through one heating season. The threaded connection has been repaired twice. It seems to only leak after the water temp has cooled down after the boiler has sat without running for a day or two? I have also noticed green corrosion (like a drip) on the copper at the connection on two other circulator pumps but haven't seen any water.

New boiler, copper pipe and additional zones all installed at the same time?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    sounds like....

galvanic action to me.I s the leak between a copper x male adapter and a steel/Ci circ. flange? IIf so I would try a brass flange either a Webstone or Watts brand. They are brass. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Cronic Leak

Three strikes its out.....Could be bad flanges,adapters or connections...Time to replace with new..Try using pipe dope and lamp wick next time..
  • Harvey_8
    Harvey_8 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Leaks

Very possible that when the copper adapter (male?) was tightened it was egged a little, heat expands pipe, no leak, cold water,, you get the picture. A good brand of pipe dope is made by Loc-Tite I believe it's LocTite 582. Had very good luck with this, only drawback is it's tough to get apart but can be done.
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    Ron Schroeder_3 Member Posts: 254
    Options
    I have seen

many threaded joints fail when glycol and corrosion inhibitors are installed in heating systems that are assembled utilizing cheaper off shore teflon tape as the thread lubricant. Those of my clients who use the heavier bodied pink or even yello gas teflon tape report less threaded joint failure. I recognize this to be anecdotal but I have to rely on their reports as I am currently anchored to the phone.
This discussion has been closed.