Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Supporting pipes for proper pitch

Ralph_5
Ralph_5 Member Posts: 3
I wasn't asked to insulate the pipes, so I didn't plan on it. We don't have very many tremors or earthquakes, so do you think it is ok to leave my installation as is?

Comments

• Ralph_5
    Proper support of pipes for proper pitch

I'm a handyman with not much experience with heating systems, and today I put two threaded rods with brackets at the basement ceiling joists at their tops and encircling pipe holders at the pipes below. The heating company had suggested this to my customer to achieve the proper pipe pitch. I bought the pipe bracket end of this system too large for the pipe, so the support pulls up from the bottom of the pipes, but doesn't encase them tightly. The loop of metal encircling the pipe has a gap at the top and sides of the pipe. In other words, the pipes could move up but not down. I am wondering if this is a problem, since I assume that the problem is with gravity moving the pipes downward. There is no force that would change the pitch of the pipes in the upward direction. I am wondering if I need to redo the job with the pipe clamps the right size for the pipe. I am hoping to avoid going back and redoing the work if that isn't necessary. I look forward to hearing from you, and thanks.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Ralph, are you intending on insulating the pipes?

insulation is good.

where i live there are a few tremmors every year and an ocassional earthquake...the pipe carriers tend to hold things in alignement a bit better when they are the same size as the pipe...i have seen some work where the allthread was run down onto the pipe to help heep them in the lower half of the clamp, i tend to think that might be a bad idea as maybe it might poke a hole in the pipe ....as a thought..
  • Ralph_5
    good idea

Just realized that your question implied that if I insulate the pipe the clamp would be the right size--how about slipping a short piece of insulation around the pipe at the clamp area? Thanks.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    you could do that.

but it will raise the pipe again unless you can lower the hangar more..best of course to insulate all..what you did may not be pretty, but its the same idea as a trapeez (spelling?) hangar..no side to side support, just downward..it will do what you intended it to do..just not asthetically pleaseing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Andy_14
    Andy_14 Member Posts: 121
    WOW

Too many times i've seen the pro's on here talk about "hack jobs" and tell home owners who want to try and do things thereself to hire a professional (which in many cases is what should be done) and now your giving advise to what obviously is a "hacker" on how to make due with the wrong clamps because he doesn't want to do it right???? If you read his posts, this man doesn't want to do the job right by getting the correct size hangers or insulate the whole pipe. He just wants to get by. I guess I just don't understand some peoples thinking.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    I have to agree

why dos'nt this guy go back and purchase the correct hanger.

If you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it wrong.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.