Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

installig my first munchkin

randy_18
randy_18 Member Posts: 1
I have heard many mixed opinions about the munchkins. I have sold my first one and iam getting ready to install it?
There are two baseboard zones and a super store. I am using the vision one control. Can any body give me some advice making it a proper install? I am looking for a few pointers

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Three things.

Read the installation instructions.

Examine the schematics and near boiler piping diagrams.

Re-read the literature again.

You'll be fine. They are a piece of cake.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Get rid

of that POS barbed (with hole in it) condensate drain fitting. Build a tee with the top open for the vacumn breaker. Make sure that rubber condensate p-trap is not crushed. Put the thing up on a rack to have acess to that trap, they do plug, sometimes. If you set it right on the floor you may be sorry. I like them just below eye level for ease of service

Check all the wiring, I have found loose connections!

Of course you will need a combustion analyzer to properly check, and tune.

Pump 'em on the return and be mindful of the circ required.

Be sure they have a good supply of CLEAN air for combustion. If near a gravel drive or dusty condition pull air from WAY up there :)

Seal the lid when you are finished with all the adjustments.

Flush and clean them well for a good, healthy, HX life. Check the condition of the fill water, stay away from real hard water that will coat those small HXers. Buy DI or DM water if the jobsite water is questionable!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • R. Swatton
    R. Swatton Member Posts: 86

Make shure you locate your make up air far enough away from your exhaust.
    Don't use a flat plate concentric.
    Don't install make up air and exhaust near a corner.
    Install Munchkin on blocks.
    Must use primary secondary.
    Look at Vision I diagram for piping or DHW.
    Must install flow check below boiler pump.
    Make sure condensate drains freely.
    Check co should be at 110ppm at high fire.
    Co2 should be at 9.5% at high fire Nat, 10.5 LP

Any other ? you can email me at summitplumbing@comcast.net

P.S. don't remove plastic barb on condensate drain and make sure you it is open after you make your conection.

Authorized Heat Tranfer Products Sevice Agent
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Randy...there is a special tool for rewiring ....

Chuck Shaw had one and i thought ...hmmmm...maybe i should buy one of those ...he then mentioned that they are sold in 10's well...i am un daunted....if you buy one i will buy one too....if a couple others would buy one i am pretty sure i can find homes for 5 altogether...i think they sound like a good tool to have either for a first time installer or a service tech. *~/:)
  • Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    Hey, Hot Rod

Do you make your racks or do you buy them?
    What combustion analyzer do you recommend?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Munchkin stand

check out the MunchPak from PHP at www.phpinc.us

Designed by a clever plumber in Montana :)

I have also built my own to stack on a buffer tank. I'm happy with my Bachrach 125 analyzer. Nice to have a printer with it also . I keep a analyzer copy, and leave a copy in the job folder.

hot rod

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Curious why you said to pump munchkins on the return?

it's an old post but as I'm considering one i'm wondering why this boiler would be different. Or is your preference in general to pump on return rathern than pumping away?

Thanks,

David
  • Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314
    About them tools

You can buy them indvidually from newark electronics web site is newark.com tool is know as an extraction tool #94f9674 is there stock # type 11-03-0044
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Pumping away

Pumping away, refers to the PONC (point of no pressure change). In pri/sec piping, you can still "pump away" from the PONC, while pumping into the boiler. Check the lit for Munchkin

http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-61.pdf

or the WM Ultra

http://www.weil-mclain.com/FTP/Ultra 310/UltraBoilerManual.pdf

If you look at the piping diagrams, both are pumping into the the boiler, on the return, to help with flow thru the smaller heat exchange passages, yet still pumping away from the point of no pressure change, the expansion tank and fill valve. Yet another great advantage of pri/sec piping

Hope this helps,

Rebel
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    I like

pumping on the return because that puts the positive pressure of the circulator facing the pressure switch, and that keeps the pressure switch, set at 10 psi, as far away from tripping as possible. WW

• Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    The big three

What I always push when training on our Mod/Con boiler are what I call the big 3-
    FLOW
    VENTING
    CONDENSATE

Those are the items that are invariably the cause of the headaches.
    FLOW-Those boilers hold a minimum of water, so it needs to keep moving at a certain pace.
    VENTING- You don't want to breathe in what YOU exhaust- neither does the boiler. Watch the terminations.
    CONDENSATE-That pipe that comes from beneath the boiler is a drain, and that is exactly what it needs to do-DRAIN.

If you pay close attention to those three items, your Munchkin install should work without incident.
  • Ruthe  Jubinville
    Ruthe Jubinville Member Posts: 67
    Munchkin install

Pipe the boiler by the instructions with the vison package unless HTP has corrected the instructions in the manual.
    Jerry
This discussion has been closed.