Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brad White/ Steamhead

Options
mel rowe
mel rowe Member Posts: 324
Well I finally had the time to finish off the project I discussed with you. Totally repiped my boiler to correct the initial installation of 18 years ago, and also replaced all the wet return lines -- which had over 70 years total service on them. I've attached photos of the before and after conditions. Also, since I got carried away, I decided to pipe the lowest boiler pipe and both wet returns with ball valves that will allow me to flush and drain directly through a common pipe and into a nearby drain. Would appreciate your input as to any mistakes that might need attention, or things I might have improved on. Thanks again for your help.

Comments

• Brad White_100
    Brad White_100 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Mel

Hey, thanks for sharing-

I am sure Steamhead helped you more than I could. Steam is his forte' (gee, ya think??) :)

In particular, I like the dropped header. Not knowing the particulars of your boiler off-hand, I was thinking that the risers from the boiler to the header might be larger by a size- maybe not for that is a detail without background information. Still, the dropped header should compensate if they are small and give you much drier steam.

Incredible improvement! Have you lit her off yet?
  • mel rowe
    Options

Thanks Brad. The tappings from the boiler are 2 in. I figured that was the "bottleneck" so to speak, so I just continued with that size pipe into the 3 in. header. Yes, I have lit it up, but not for long since it was 84 outside, and my wife just didn't understand my interest in running the boiler. LOL I did find a couple of small leaks, where I hadn't fully tightened all those unions. Looking forward to giving it a real trial this fall.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Dropped Header looks fine

and I know it will work better. How about a pic of the equalizer and Hartford Loop? They didn't show up too well in that ball-valve pic.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mel rowe
    Options

Thanks Steamhead. Will forward pic of the equalizer and Hartford loop at first opportunity.
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Nice work, BUT...

I have seen many pic's posted that show the use of maleable fittings, and I have to wonder why. Steam fittings cost less, and you can break 'em with a couple of lump hammers. Any other comments?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Frank, I've had to use them

when they were all I could get. We've all run into that.....

However, now that we have Sawzalls, I doubt it makes that much difference.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.