Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hard Start Kits

I like the kits. They will work on most systems that are or need hard start capabilities.

Mike T.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Hard Start Kits

Hello!Are the new "electronic hard start pac's" just as good as the real thing (start relay,start cap) ?That would be assuming both kits to be of the same MFD rating.Don in MO, you peeking into my brain?Enjoy!
  • RadPro
    RadPro Member Posts: 90
    Too Easy

Hi all,

Sorry but no brain reading today! Call woke me up at 3:30 am with no cooling at a gas pipeline, with thousands of dollars at stake. I bypassed the carrier phase rotation board to get them going. They have had this problem for at least a year and a half. I guess I was the first to have them call anytime so we could actually catch the problem.

To the point. I believe the biggest reason you see all the aftermarket kits is that no one is willing to look in a book anymore. Case in point-today one of the installers pulls a dual run cap out of a used Janitrol that he hopes to use at home. The strap messed up the herm mfd reading. I says what comp is it? He looks and says tecumsah. I say, I will get my book and tell you what it needs. Look it up and 45-5, 370v. Now I know that is a run cap but why not carry a copeland, tecumsah etc. book that tells you exactly what you need?!

In short too much inventory!! I have used the supco hard starts and generally have had good luck. Just remember that they will not cycle quickly. Have not used the kickstart stuff but would think it would be better as it is actually a start relay.

Don in MO
  • Techman
    HardStart

Hi Don ! KickStart has a relay?! Thanks!!!!
  • RadPro
    RadPro Member Posts: 90
    So does Suppco

Hey Techman

I looked in my handy dandy Johnstone book and Suppco also has a pot relay kit, but it is 3-wire. When I worked for a Carrier dealer in IL, the boss told me to use a carrier part number pot relay. Said it would work on any comp. Don't remember the number but I have seen a relay in my Mars Catalog that looks like it might work that way too!!

Anyone else going thru dual caps?? All 3 after hours calls last week where blown caps. Top bulged out and put new one on and presto it worked.

Stay cool
    Don in MO
  • Techman
    HardStart

HidyHo Neighbor!I am concerned with the "short cycling" associated with "pumpdown systems".So I'm wondering about the reliability of these newer fangled devices !Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.