Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When?

Leo
Leo Member Posts: 770
As we all get critical about business greed and big bottom lines to stockholders if you have a 401K or an IRA check to see where the fund is invested. A global economy affects most of us in many different ways.

Leo

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,399
    WILL???????????????????????????????????

An American Manufacturer like Conbraco or Wolverine Brass make those nice little Isolating ball valves that WEbStone and some others make. I go out of my way to use USA made, but it gets harder everyday. C'mon folks. I am willing to pay more just gimme USA...same with Circs. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    unfortunately my friend

we--the U.S.--are fast on our way to becoming a 3rd world nation.

The rich don't care, they just want more profit, a mansion in L.A., Brazil, China is still a mansion. They don't care about the USA or Patriotism.

As Bush and Lay cry about lost revenues while still pulling in billions for themselves I have a hard time buying their story. That companies must close or move over seas to keep profits up.

Keep in mind that the average CEO salary in the US is 300% more than all the rest in the world. sob sob
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Probably never

I was in the flange and iso flange business over 10 years ago. It was hard, if not impossibe to find anyone in the US that would cast brass evenback then. It is a combination of cost and emission regulations.

The company I used was in Thailand and was casting for Price Pfister, and most of the door hardware companies.

The brand you mentioned could in fact be cast over seas and machined and assembled here. There are rules about what can be called "Made in America" based on the percentqage of the components imported. At least that is how I remember it.

I really think you need to start thinking more globally :)

I think most if not all of B&G stuff is cast overseas these days. Including those nice iso flanges. I'll bet Webstone is import also.

Personally I think the best quality valves are made in Italy. I believe they also make the machines the make the valves, regardless of where they are made.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • PS_2
    PS_2 Member Posts: 14
    Worcester, MA

Their manufacturing plant is about 4 miles from my home here in Central Mass. Not to say that there shouldn't be more US manufacturers - but am I missing something about WebStone?
  • I. Wundermich
    I. Wundermich Member Posts: 9
    Webstone Iso Flanges

are clearly marked to be a product of the People's republic of China. Slave labor enables them to be manufactured as cheaply as they are.
    There is no limit as to where NA resellers will go to increase their profits.
    But guess what? None of these overpaid CEOs and their fat shareholders will take one single dime with them. There will be no suitable bribes on judgement day either.
    In the mean time our poor will get poorer, our middle class will become poor, our trades people will slide into poverty and the wealthy will continue to grow wealthier as the money that is being taken from the abject poor and the newly poor has to go somewhere...
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,141
    In all probablablity

when monkeys fly .No profit for US based companies to produce goods here i have seen it in manafacture plants that i work in on occision .They have haulted producing product here it's vastly cheaper to ship the manafacturing equiptment and the materals oversea and set it all up and have the product made and packaged and shipped back in the case that i have seen this happen the overseas product is of higher quality because of cheaper labor and because of that thay can afford to pay and have more quality control and qualified chemist thare to ensure proper mixing .In all that i have seen here the US companies don not have the nor do they employe chemist to check the quality of the mix and adjusting to ensure proper quality .Next time you have one of thoses paper thin listern breath mints just remenber thoses plastics cases are made in china also the one wall mart sells to no EPA and No osha this is why alot of products arew made overseas .PS i don't want to put a name on the company but there product line is gobal and some of there producys even make there way to be used by wet heads just venting peace and good luck

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    \"Everyday low prices\"

WM claim to fame, ONLY exist because that is what the majority of the consumers demand. Not many want to pay the price for true quality, regardless of the country of origin.

I'd bet as soon as the people of China realize what money can buy, and the concept of benefits,that cheap labor will move, yet again, to another country that will work even cheaper. I predict Africa will be the next to fill this demand. We've been to Japan, Korea,etc.

Isn't it always about the almighty buck :)

I highly doubt we are becoming a 3rd world country. Third world countries typically do not have a 65%, and growing obesity rate!

Currently we are the worlds police force and military might. That creates jobs, if you have the right connections :)

hot rod

• Mad Dog_2
    Thanks for the background

Think more globally? Thats a dangerous notion. I am an American First, Hot Rod, you know that by now. I go out of my way to use USA Made unless something is far superior or not available. It troubles me deeply how less and less and less is manufactured here. I'll buy overseas when I have to but I will never embrace "globalism" as some do. Anyway thanks for the background. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    I agree with everything except your last few sentences

Most Americans want CHEEEEEEEEEP!! It's sad. Mad Dog

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    could solve this pretty much overnight

by requiring imports to be manufactured to american standards to be sold in the US. Environmental and labor conditions at least.

that would be "protectionist" I guess, but not really, as long as import taxes on items "playing fair" were removed.

I don't have any problem with competition. I do have a problem with capital moving one step ahead of environmental and labor regulation to exploit inadequate regulatory structures over, and over, and over again.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.