Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crawl Space job pic

Cosmo_3
Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
That has to service that puppy!!

My knees and neck hurts just looking at the pics......

Where is the DHW? Maybe I missed the pic.

Bet you felt like a "Dead Man" after that one!

Cosmo Valavanis

Comments

• Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    My knees hurt

I just finished up this crawl space job this morning. I had to buy the mechanics creeper just for this job. 45" crawl space , no bulkhead, the boiler is 50' from the hole under the stairs. The hole under the stair is about 20"X25".

2 million $$ house on the water, 22 foot ceilings in the entry and library.
  • Bill Nye_2
    More

vitorond 200
  • Bill Nye_2
    Crawl Space job pic

couple more
  • Bill Nye_2
    Duke

Duke was one of the best dogs we ever had. He had cancer and my wife had to have him put to sleep. It was about a month and a half ago.

We got him "used" from the Springer rescue league when our Jamie a female springer passed away. She was 14, Dukie was only 12. Our other springer Abbie is 16!

My wife took these pictures the week before he got put away. He had a tumor the size of a softball and he had trouble wlking and was in a lot of pain.

His license renewal came last week and then I found the pictures today. I sorta miss him..........
  • Ragu_4
    Ragu_4 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks

Bill. thanks for the pictures of Duke; what a handsome boy he was!

We lost our 16 year old dog Ayla last November. We had her since she was 6 weeks old and she went with one of us to the jobsite every day. She was known by all the tradespeople in a 50 mile radius.

You've got me teary-eyed but it's the good kind. Thanks.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

Bill, every time I see your name I am reminded of a local celebrity from my childhood. Bill Nye the science guy. He was on every saturday morning here in Seattle. Any relation?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Is that blood on the creeper?!

Nice work in a tough enviroment :)

Sorry about your dog. We had Hazel put down last summer. Planted her, along with a tree outside the office. We still have two pound pups and one "walk in" mutt.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Nice work

especially given the limited headroom. Any less room and Ron Jr. would have some serious competition.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Hey Bill

Nice Job, How'd you get the stuff down there ?

By the way, here's our Daisy. Shes alittle over a year now.

Scott

• Bill Nye_2
    Scott

Nice looking dog. The mason's put it down there with a block and tackle throught the stair well before the finished stairs were installed. The HO bought all the stuff, we just hooked 'er up.
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    hmmm....

You , my friend , you are a bad man. I've spent alot of time in places like that , but you got me on the oil tanks. Rock on man , and I hope your rockin all the way to the bank . Nice work.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Vitorond??

Nice job that must have been a real killer . I'd have added in extra money so i could send my guys to get a massage after that . The H.O. bought the stuff , please share where in Mass the H.O bought thier own Viessmann so I can be sure to never buy from that supply house again! They get a pass if it's the supply house owners daughter or whatever.

• Bill Nye_2
    dhw cosmo

I should say this guy has a lot of money, not a lot of practical sense. It might be me who has to service it. I am not even sure if a vacuum cleaner will fit through the opening under the stairs.

During construction the lower landing to the stairs was removed for access. It is Viessman indirect 300 ltr I think
  • Bill Nye_2
    Joel

This is CT. The guy is a landlord, developer, builder, investor, etc, etc.

I think he gets a better discount than I do. He probably beats 'em down. I had no real input on equipment selection, just the peripheal stuff.
  • Darin(in Michigan)
    Darin(in Michigan) Member Posts: 90
    Head Knockers

Nice Install. I hope the crawl stays dry for years to come. Service is important but what happens when it comes time to change the bad boy?:) My sister built a nice home on he water and when I chewed her out for putting the Carrier Infinity(big bucks) in the crawl she said "where was I supposed to put it?" Oh no, couldn't give me a 8X4 room out of the 2700 sq ft you have. And by the way, the house was built around the furnace. When it comes out, it will be in peices.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Darin -- Flood

Darin, with out a sump pump I am quite sure this basement will flood. There is no way to get equipment in or out of here. The tiled floor below the stairwell will have to be cut open.

The exterior of this building is brick, all of it. There is about $160,000 worth of doors and glass. Some windows are 12' tall or better. The library ceiling is 22'6".

I would have to pay for 30 yrs for just the glass.!
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    I've been meaning to reply...

... for a long time, yet have not had a chance to, due to my new work. Bill, I just wanted to congratulate you on the install. You did some amazing things in the bowels of that home. I also agree with you that the home will be an interesting service job in the future, better keep that creeper close to your truck for service calls!

Evidently, the owner is more into bling than anything else. Just witness all the data cables snaking through the basement. I'm kinda disappointed how the low-voltage cabling is allowed to hang all over the place. For the oil tanks, some form of support for the oil filter and line might be a nice-to-have. From the look of the rest of the installation, my guess is that you did not install the tanks.

Your supply and return manifold piping is superb. I like the EZ-headers and the flange-valves you used a lot, they make service calls later on a lot easier. The light switches above presumably allow you to service one cartridge at a time, without the need to take the whole system down. Nice! The many supports for all types of pipes speaks to your professionalism. This will be a very quiet system.

The auto-feeder, PONPC tie in is neat also. I presume you're counting on the Vitoronds to bleed any air? The many full-flow flanges you used are a treat also.

My only fear in this basement is the need for servicing anything sizeable. I also worry about flooding and what that can do. I just hope he doesn't figure out a way to blame you if the equipment down there has to get condemned.
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Hey Bill

Yea, I guess I didn't open that picture.

I guess I have to chime in w/ everyone else, I am also worried about water damage. Maybe you can sell them a water indicator to let them know something is going on, and a sump pit w/ pump?

With such a nice house, why not just throw a little mechanical room in, hopefully that boiler will never need replacement. Looks like a tough, well done install.

I'd like to see the invoice for the annual tune-up. There should be a couple drops of blood and sweat right next to the $400.00 total in case he balks at the price.

IMPO the Viessmann boiler could have gone in the living room, would have looked nice!

Cosmo Valavanis
This discussion has been closed.