Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Added job time due to parts quality issues

The job came out very nice , but I have dozens of the same job already - under the stairs in a Levitt cape .

I really don't mind most of the crap . But the oversized pipe is a killer . Figure on 30 to 40 ends to make up on each boiler . Now imagine having to fight each and every joint to get em together . After a while it's not a matter of frustration , it's a matter of fatigue and hurt . Both my wrists are sore as hell right now .

Thanks Robert for the kind words . Tomorrow is another day , and I hope it's the day we run out of Mueller pipe .

Comments

• All of this happened on a boiler replacement today

• All of this happened on a boiler replacement today ....

1. Burnham RSA 110 bottom steel plate was loose where it meets the chamber . All 4 drill screws were stripped out . No way short of redrilling to stop the boiler from rocking .

2. Mueller 3/4 inch M and 1 inch M pipe - EVERY FITTING needed to be banged on with a hammer or wrench or channellocks - the pipe is oversized . I can feel the arthritis working it's magic in my hands .

3. 1/2 inch copper by female tee had a sandhole in it . Was in a precarious spot so changing it was a royal pain .

4. Aquastat well shipped with the boiler unprotected and was dented . Of course we had the boiler full of water before we found this tidbit out .

And finally 5. leaky drain after we finish purging the zones .

All this had to add an hour of better to the job . Does anyone factor in extra time to deal with this situation ? It's happening more and more frequently .
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Material

Funny Ron, I had the same kind of day with my 1/2 fittings also! Last week I found a center drain tee with a hole in the side, thankfully before I burned it in. It seems to come and go in waves. Did the valve you installed between the water feed and the system give you any problems? :) EJW
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    quality disappearing

It seems to be the American way of late, doesn't it?? We have the same problems on a daily basis, especially with copper fittings and pipe. I had to repair a screw hole in a 3/4" line the other day and had to beat on the couplings. And explain to me why a slip coupling cost more than a regular one??? There is not process step required to indent the stop, so it should be cheaper, right?
    I do not tolerate shoddy workmanship, especially on a boiler or major piece of equipment. I don't use the brand you mentioned and wouldn't, just because of all the problems. Maybe I would if they brought back the old V-33 boilers........

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ahh , the valves

Forgot to mention the Mueller sweat ball valves . 4 of the packing nuts needed to be tightened for 1/2 inch alone . And the first time you close them feels like there's something stuck in there . We had a bad batch of Cerro type L hard copper a few weeks ago . That stuff can make a grown man cry .
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Ron Jr.

It was just your turn in tank today.

Some days ya get the bear and other days the bear gets you. We all need to eat, including the bear, so why don't you just relax and take it in stride. The biggest problem i see with inexperienced mechanics is that when the bear eats, they panic and thus rush to completion and therefore make needless mistakes that most times will bite you in the a$$. Do we figure on making mistakes and add them to the upfront costs? Of course we do. Your officially the "KING of the SHOEHORNED BOILER" I would think this isn't your first bad day. Just put it behind you, tommorrow is another day.

Where's the pics??

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Maybe?

The bear will take the pipe with him when he leaves.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Banging on Fittings

Try changing your cutting wheels more often, if you use them every day, change them more then once week. Also don't buy the no name brand wheels ask for the good ones..Cutter loose and sloppy buy a new one.... This will help..

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Ron ?

Are you sure its the pipe and not the fittings ?

Years ago I was on a job and recieved a load of new fittings. Since I was a young guy, everyone told me I was turnig the cutter to tight, did'nt change my cutter wheel enough, blah, blah blah ....

About a week later the new fittings started showing up on other jobs and the screaming started. I feel your pain pal.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • MikeR_3
    MikeR_3 Member Posts: 43
    \"Factory Assembled\"...

We love Carlin and Weil Mclain. That being said, it has gotten to the point that we automatically go over the entire burner and boiler on every install. Loose nozzle, incorrect electrode settings, air not even close, etc., etc. ALL fittings on boiler must be removed, prepped, and reinstalled. Supply nipple, pressure/temperature gauge, relief valve, glass gauge... EVERYTHING! Has to add at least an hour to every installation. Nipples "Factory Installed" all have a dab of dope on them. Got sick of leaks at 7PM. We just assume they will leak now. Sad.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    True Scott

I heard from a couple of fellows that they ran into a number of undersized fittings. They mentioned that these fitting were produced in the Orient and they have made the lives of many contractors a living hell.

I cannot validate the story as I have no proof of the undersized fittings, but the gentleman that I spoke with worked in the plumbing department of a large do-it-yourself, warehouse type home center that rhymes with re-po.
  • SVDW
    SVDW Member Posts: 80
    copper fittings

We're a large wholesaler in the midwest & we've seen a lot of lousy fittings coming in of late, both domestic & off-shore. Same problems you guys mention: oversize,undersize,pinholes,deformities,mixed sizes in factory-sealed bags. Vendors don't even seemed surprised anymore when you call & complain. We've shipped back skid loads of the stuff. Sounds like you ended up with some of it! Seems like sub-standard is becoming standard & manufactures figure your time is less valuable than their quality control $$.
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
  • We change the wheels

on regular intervals . The pipe cutters are definitely not the problem .

Change them once a week ? I use them 5 days a week and find they need replacing maybe once a few months . With the price of cutting wheels and rollers , once a week is pricy .
  • Nope

it is definitely not the fittings . When connecting to old copper piping ; ells , street ells , tees , couplings - all slip on normally . And we use a few different brands for fittings and valves , so I gotta assume it's the pipe . Today the 1/2 L copper was fine , but the 1 inch M was a horror . I wonder if I can blame carpal tunnel syndrome on oversized copper ?
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Outer Burr From worn wheel

Ok.... What ever
  • Hey dude

I use 4 different pipe cutters every day . All my partners use their own . Your " outer burr from worn wheel " theory is wrong . Sorry .
This discussion has been closed.