Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard ratings

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,103
Does any one have the btu output ratings for 1/2 edwards baseboard .Real nice install whole house done in 1/2 pipe with 1/2 baseboard the boiler short cycles and the circ runs constancly and the rooms are cold and the stat never satisfyed.Did a heatlose and i doesn,t look good alot of repiping and some of it doesn't look good only good news is the boiler is only about 10 years old and it matches with the new heat lose and the chimmey has a new liner kit .Just maybe hoping to do a mono flow tee baseboard loop if the existing baseboard can meet the lose other wise it's loop city and new 3/4 baseboard .Peace and thanks clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620

Clammy, According to the I-B-R Manual 1/2 fin tube with water flowing at 1 GPM at 180 degree's will produce 550 BTU's per foot and at 4 GPM produce 580 BTU's per foot based on 65 degree entering air temp.

If you can wait till Monday here's were you can get some detailed information.

Edwards ENGINEERING CORP.

101 Alexander Ave, Pompton Plains, NJ 07444-0487

800-526-5201 . 973-835-2800 . Fax 973-835-2805

Web: www.edwards-eng.com . E-mail: info@edwards-eng.com

I did check their web site but I could not find much technical data. I may not have been looking in the right place?

Hope this helps.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    The output

is not that far off from 3/4, but obviously the loop lengths would need to be shorter with smaller diameter tube.

If you have enough board to meet the load, you may just need to zone it off better? Or more pump size up to the 4 FPS rule.

You could also boost the supply temperatures. I've seen these systems running in excess of 200°

Heck, Ken mentioned seeing concrete radiant slabs running 220 in his area a while back :)

Both SlantFin and SunTemp show temperatures up to 240°.

1/2" SunTemp at 210° shows 810 BTU/ hr/ lin. foot. At 240° a whooping 1010 BTU/hr/!

I will say high temperature baseboard operation tends to streak the wall due to increased air flow rates across the fins.

Or a dirty house :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • WPH2205
    WPH2205 Member Posts: 52

Actually 1/2" baseboard generally has a rating that is a little HIGHER than 3/4" per foot, but hot rod is right. If you do the math, you will see that 1/2" will flow 1.5 gpm which translates to 15000 btu. Divide 15000 by the rating per foot,(which is approx. 600 btu) and you'll see that you can only run about 25 feet of 1/2" baseboard on a series loop before you run out of heat.
  • clammy
    Thanks

Last year i was there and the aquastat was set quite high and the streaking on the walls was not to be believed.Even with the aquastat at 200 the house was cold and the temp didn't rise and when the cold snap hit it was sleeping with sweates and a ski hat as i was told .The loop lenght are alittle to much for me and the piping leads alot to be desired some rooms with proper flow should meet the lose but the baseboard is not in to good a shape elements bashed and covers and brackets are bent to hell .The second floor presents a little diffculty with piping but what ther now is vey shy of whats needed .I believe i'll probaly cut to the chase and end up with at least 3 zones new baseboard and possible i small fan coil for the garage to get the chill out and make the floors in the 1 st floor bedroom walkable and of course a small toester unit for the no space kitchen and eat in dining room .If it was up to me i'de dump the baseboard and do a mini tube distrubition system with panel rads it would be sweet and then save some coin and instead of rebuilding the shot chimmey pointing and flashing go with a modulating direct vent munchkin but it's not my coin to spend so it will most likely be a repipe and new baseboard.Total sq. ft. is only 2000 but last years gas bill was averaging 275 a month at t/stat very low below 66 did advise to do attic insulation and re insulate the knee walls and portion of the first hall cieling in the knee wall areas also told to check for a blower door test.The heating system was definitely put in by a hill billy in the sticks and in the 70 cause it seem everybody was doing 1/2 baseboard loop systems around these parts they work fine as long as it's not to cold and you don't mind the gas bill peace and thanks clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Think I would

highly recomend, to the owners, that the insulation and a "tighten up" (Archie Bell and the Drells) be done before you throw MORE heat at a leaky home.

No reason you couldn't homerun the baseboards just as you would panel rads. If, and only if, the BB can meet the room load at resonable temperatures.

As for streaking...bb head does not "create dirt".. it just transports readily available dirt to the walls:) If you can think of a polite way to put that to the HO's.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clammy
    Yes i did

Oh i sang a song last winter of clean the baseboard get rid of the carpet packed under the baseboard too.The HO is a friend so it was easy to rag at him .I gave him the total skinny on getting more insulation and doing the drells peace clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
This discussion has been closed.