Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new venting code in MASS

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,695
Ok Ok, so it's not new; it's old.

I'm sorry if I started the oil community on this post. It was not my intention.

I made a mistake on the wiring. The local plumbing inspector told me that there would be hard wiring required for CO detectors up to the living areas where bed rooms are. I should have read it more carerfully.
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• GW
    Options
    new EMERGENCY venting code in MASS

How thrilled are all of you about the new code? My electrician says it's against their code; sounds like this is going to be something that only the government come dream up. It's effective July 29th (yes, that is in the past). It's interesting that there is no attention given to dilapidated existing conditions or horrendous combustion conditions due to negative combustion zone pressures because of stack effect in tall houses or roaring fireplaces sucking all the air out of a house, and the like. It's also intersting that there is no consideration for the thousands of homes that have side-wall vented appliances less than 4' off the ground (95% or so?), apparently no need to inform those people I guess. Has there been a topic on this yet? If so, please point me towards it.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    new venting code

what is the new code i havent heard anything yet

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Options
    Go to oil tech talk

there is a post there thats got to do with the new codes...David
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Just what are you

referring to:

This is all that is on the Plumbing Board site:

gas

Not new, btw, it is a few weeks old now. This pertains only to NFPA54 (gas), not oil 527CMR4.00 and NFPA211. Where are in fact the references to the Electrical Code?

Let's try to establish the facts, enough rumors and urban legends out there to fill a dump truck on this issue already. Here's the oil side, BTW, reference CMR4.00 page 52.13 and 52.14

oil

Stay cool, the summers not over yet! Keep in mind that this is also a knee-jerk reaction by politicos and that codes are written on paper, not chiseled in concrete.

Even though changes are coming, it's not official until it's published by the Secretary of State's Office.

• GW
    Options
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    Please note that

this is a proposal.

BTW, the tag is probably the best part of the whole thing since from everything I've heard the vent was plugged during snow removal from the driveway.

Ya can't fix stupid, but some trial lawyer will make money from it, FACT!
  • dconnors
    dconnors Member Posts: 215
    Options
    Mass. code and CO detectors.

July 27th Division of Professional Licensure has made this official
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    CO Detector

A source for a CO detector that has a boiler interupt circuit is "UltraGuard" located in Greenwich, CT. The phone number (203)302-3500. Thanks,
  • The Ultra Guard will not

shut of the water heater. I understand the incident in the Cape was a side wall vented water heater.There was alos a depressurization situation in the house caused by a fireplace or some other high volume venting device.
  • Tim

Based on the information sent to me last week from our managers who attended one of the meetings with the Gas Networks people, the boiler interrupt is not being required on the CO detector installed in the utility area, but it must be of the 120v type with battery backup.

I was also told that some of the inspectors may in fact begin enforcing the accumulable snow issue by requiring the vent discharge to be 12" above the snow accumulation level for Mass. which I was told is about 28" plus the 12" or 40" above grade.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Gary

I was also told that the CO dectectors had to be of the 120v variety by our own people that attended the ruling meeting last week with the gas utility people.The one in the utility room must be 120v with battery backup.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • GasNetworks
    GasNetworks Member Posts: 74
    Options
    gas code

Hi Glenn. There is indeed some confusion about this emergency ammendment in MA that took effect July 29. We have 2 sessions scheduled during our conference on September 8 to get some clarification. Brad Wong is holding 2 sessions titled "New Gas Code Rules/Venting and More". We all hope to clear up this confusion then! Brad is among a very qualified group of trainers we have for the day including Dan H, Rich Trethewey and Tim McElwain and more.
    Mike

The agenda is at www.gasnetworks.com
  • GW
    Options
    will the session be recorded?

I love it when each town call name their own rules. Will there be any clarification on snow levels being enforced?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    Options

I have asked 3 different inspectors and gotten 3 different answers. It's beyond me why they dont just require one everywhere just like smoke detectors. yes even in a 100% electric home.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Glenn

The code can not be interpreted individually by each inspector. If so than we have NO code.

This needs to be addressed and quickly, before the heating season.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    True, Scott

but when has the code not been interpreted by individual inspectors the way they see it here in Mass?

The sytem of appealing to Boston for a ruling has been cumbersome, time consuming and in the past not very supportive of the plumber who requested a ruling.

That is changing with the current system of inspectors having to take refresher classes to keep their status and with the work of Mr. Peluso and his competent staff interpreting the code properly to the benefit of all concerned.

Let's hope this progress continues.

Jack
This discussion has been closed.