Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old steam pics

BigRed
BigRed Member Posts: 104
They want this removed becauce the state will not pass the boiler

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    An old

Warren Webster vapor system...

They cannot make you replace the boiler because it is old. There has to be a violation. Granted, the boiler may be a dog, efficiency wise, but the basic distribution and radiation system is among the best ever designed - as long as somebody didn't mess with it too much.

What violation(s) did they cite? No manual reset pressuretrol or LWCO?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    That hand valve is a Webster

but the parts of the system in the boiler room were made by the Vapor Regulator Co. That banana-shaped regulator worked sort of the same as a Broomell or VECO, but instead of a sight glass it had a pointer that reached over to that distinctively curved right side. Numbers on the right side showed the pressure in ounces.

But it's still a fine old Vapor system, which I'll bet has water seals on the radiator outlets- just like Broomell and VECO. With a new boiler and proper air venting it should run just fine.
  • Could be they

> but the parts of the system in the boiler room

> were made by the Vapor Regulator Co. That

> banana-shaped regulator worked sort of the same

> as a Broomell or VECO, but instead of a sight

> glass it had a pointer that reached over to that

> distinctively curved right side. Numbers on the

> right side showed the pressure in ounces.

>

> But

> it's still a fine old Vapor system, which I'll

> bet has water seals on the radiator outlets- just

> like Broomell and VECO. With a new boiler and

> proper air venting it should run just fine.

don't like the blow down piping on the pop safety valve going UP at a 45% angle.
  • Could be they

don't like the blow down pipe on the pop safety valve going UP at a45% angle.
  • BigRed
    old steam

There is no rating tag on the boiler so the state (PA) will nto appove it. Also the terminal units are gravity air exchangers, they want hydronic!
  • Joe Grosso
    \"Gravity air exchangers\"?

Are you talking about indirect radiators, mounted in ductwork in the basement? If so, they're likely as old as the building and may not handle the increased pressure of a hot-water system. This is also true of old piping.

Vapor systems typically ran at less than a pound of steam pressure- if that boiler is set to run more pressure than a pound, someone screwed up. Hot-water runs at a minimum of 12 pounds, and that's in a two-story building. As the building's height increases, so does the needed pressure in a hot-water system. For more pitfalls of attempting to convert a steam system to hot-water, go here:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=22

Since the building already has a very good type of system, it is economical to keep it going with a new boiler. Plus you can use thermostatic radiator valves very easily on a system like this, which will give the occupants control over their radiators.

What part of PA are you in?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    who is ''they''

and if someone told me to remove an 80 year old boiler i'd surely go over their head as long as its still a safe installation..you know what i mean..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Christian Egli
    Christian Egli Member Posts: 277
    Of all the useless things in life

No rating tag? How did it pass inspection all the years before then? Can you get an insurance company to test it rather than the state?

There should be some markings somewhere either sand cast or stamped in, did they miss them? If the orignial tag fell off, couldn't you re-issue a new one?

• BigRed
    They, are the owners of the building and \"they want a new

> and if someone told me to remove an 80 year old

> boiler i'd surely go over their head as long as

> its still a safe installation..you know what i

> mean..

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 360&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• BigRed

When I say they I mean the building owners. The plans call for a new hydronic system top to bottom. I dont know the full story about the state. By the time I get there the job been sold and I do the work.
  • Joe Grosso
    What a waste of money

not to mention disruption to the building. Whoever sold this doesn't know squat about steam.

You might mention this to the owners. If you do tear it out, by all means save the old steam components!
This discussion has been closed.