Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

whooshing with central air

Options
I had posted awhile ago that we had gurgling near our air handler when the central air is running. (The air handler is in an area next to a bedroom, and the refrigerant tubing runs behind the walls).
Actually, with it running, it sounds more like a whooshing sound of refrigerant....like if you were in a room where water pipes ran through a wall and someone was taking a shower in the next room.
Is this a normal sound? It seems to cool fine. The whooshing is loudest when the a/c first starts, but is still noticeable the whole time the unit is running.
The unit is a Trane, and it has an orifice (I believe the orifice # is either 81 0r 84).
Thanks.
Dave

Comments

• don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Dave

I had a downflow furnace one time that was mounted on a base that sounded like a washing machine everytime it started and, did so until the system shut down.

The base had about 10 inches of water in it from a clogged
    drain.

You could have a velocity noise in your refrigerant line where they have ells right at the inlet and outlet of the coil.

It could also be low on refrigerant and you will get the noise as well.

Orfice size mean nothing to us with so little information to go on.

Anyway it would be better to get a set us train eyes on the job and let them figure it out.
    After all that how we feed the family.

Good luck on your search.
  • Eric_25
    Eric_25 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    possibly no evacuation

was done on the system, we have seen this before when the installer does not pressure test and evacuate the system properly. We took over installs in a development that was 50% complete and had to go back to several of the houses the other "expert" installed, recover the refrigerant, leak check, evacuate, and recharge with new refrigerant. It solved the problem in several houses. If you did the install and know it was done correctly it could be improper line sizing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.