Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

low loss headers

Options
randy_16
randy_16 Member Posts: 2
I have seen photos with low loss headers in them and i would like to know the purpose of them? Ard they used primarily wiht small condensing boilers to gain better flow rates?
Is there any information out there i can read to get more insite on the subject? i would like to know if this is some thing that i could build my self from steel pipe

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Aka, hydraulic seperators,

bulge fittings, closely spaced tees, etc. In the green Caleffi picture in this article, there are baffle disc between those ports that look to be directly across form one another. Paste this link to your browser and take a look see.

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,101205,00.html

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • randy_16
    randy_16 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    low loss header

If you use a low loss header than does that eliminate the need for closely spaced tees?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Sort of

It would eliminate the P/S closely spaced tees that the boiler would tie into the P/S loop.

Many of the low mass small HX condensing boilers have a high pressure drop thru the HX. The low loss "device" assures that the boiler recievies the proper flow as required, without effecting the hydraulics in the secondary loops.

Say, for instance, the boiler, or heat source, required a high head pump to provide proper flow. You could couple a low head pump off the secondaries of the "device" and the high head pump would not "argue" with the low head.

The Viessmann Vitoden, as I understand it, has a variable speed "boiler pump" so it's hydraulics are very specfic, to assure it modulates properly. The low loss header, or other "device", allows this VS boiler circ to operate across it's range without being challanged by any other circs in the system.

It serves the same purpose as a P/S piping, it's just packages in a nice box, or cylinder :)

For an additional bonus, properly installed, a low loss header also doubles as a air purger device, a mount for pressure and temperature sensors, and a sludge seperator, of sorts. This may be a good plus when these flow sensitive small HXers are coupled to old iron systems.

And some brands look really "trick" !

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.