Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mixing oil

I to was taught that 410A oil was very suseptable to moisture contamination and by just blowing out with nitro, you would still have some oil remaining. I would think the old R11 purge would be in line here, but venting is illegal.

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    POE vs. Mineral vs. PAG

Professor,

There was a counter day recently near me and one of the reps from a refrigerant gauge manufacturer was there with a 'new' set of guages. This set was special because they were for R22 and R410a. I've always been taught that the oils used in R22 were not compatible with the oils used in R410a. When I posed the question to the rep, he kinda looked at me funny (as if he'd never heard that question) and told me to simply blow the remaining charge out of the lines before switching refrigerants. This doesn't seem right.

After I wandered about for a while and eating a couple of delicious BBQ sandwiches, the rep found me and told me that he'd checked with someone at the home office. Their response was to blow the lines out with nitrogen before switching refrigerants. Even this doesn't seem right, but a better way to accomplish the task.

Jeff

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380

Jeff,

Can you please e-mail me with the information (manufacturer) regarding these gauges?

I would like to contact the manufacturer and get to the bottom of this for you.
This discussion has been closed.