Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

More Stair Building

EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 7,079
After reading "My basement Stairs are Dancing" from Mike T.
it reminded me of once visiting the old Springfield Armory Gun Museam in Springfield Ma.

Years ago I lugged a vacuum pump and reclaimer up and down the 4 or 5 flights of stairs several times to service the Ac system. I had plenty of time to look at the floor boards.

This building built in the 1740s?? has a wide spiral staircase 4 or 5 floors high (cant remember)and about 5 feet across.

Every floor board on these stairs is ripped on a taper wider at the wall and narrow at the center of the open staircase. It must be 12-15 feet between floors so there is a zillion floor boards.

Remember electricity had not been invented yet-no tablesaw or radial arm saw, or chopsaw. Just blood sweat and tears. TALK ABOUT WORK-THE REAL DEAD MEN. Every board fits perfectly.

I was told that engineers today cannot figure out what holds this staircase up-but it is as solid as a rock.

Ed
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!