Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old fashioned neighbors

Options
S Ebels
S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
Out in the country a little way or still in the big city?

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Welcome

We often talk about the importance of good values and traditions at The Wall. Those good things happened to my family and our neighbors in the past couple of days.

We moved into our home last January but haven't gone out to introduce ourselves to the neighbors (my bad). While working outside last week our 86-year-old neighbor came over in his walker and introduced himself. His name is Barney and he is a WWII vet, having served in Normandy during the D-Day invasion. I got goosebumps when he told me that, because I am very interested in hearing stories from living veterans and I am glad he is just steps away. I have a feeling I'll be hearing a lot of stories this summer -- and that is defintely a good thing.

Then yesterday his 80-year-old bride, Marion, came over as we were doing yardwork and she brought us a homemade apple pie. I can't tell you how thrilled such a simple and kind gesture made me feel. I know this is how neighbors got to know each other in the old days and I plan to make it a point to reciprocate to them, as well as introducing myself to everyone on the block. (And that pie tasted just like the baked goods my late grandmother made us.) It really took me back.

Have a great week my friends, and say a cheery hello to your neighbors.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options

I wanna know too cause I like apple pie.

Ed
  • Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Options
    John I got a good feeling,

that a guy like you could also be very helpful to Barney and Marion also. Often elderly folks need a little help fixing this or that, and you could trade him labor for stories. Tell him someone in Nebraska he's never met appreciates him. Because of guys like that I'm not speaking German or Japanese. Kevin
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    I'll help out

I've already volunteered to be a "good neighbor" if they need me.

Steve -- we moved five blocks from our old house (still on the market). The new home is a very unique custom ranch on about an acre of land (unusual for the city limits). It's going to provide us with some interesting HVAC challenges but I plan to document some of the ongoing work (as soon as the other #$%&! house sells).

Thanks for asking.
This discussion has been closed.