Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off topic/ copy & paste??

Options
Can anyone explain how to copy and paste something within a pdf file within Acrobat Reader. I need to copy apox. 3 pages of a 50 page document (e-mail), then paste it into a e-mail. When I hit the edit button, the copy feature is disabled. As I'm sure you all can tell I'm a lousey typer and even more computor illiterate. It will take me at least and hour (probably more) to type it

Any tricks or shortcuts?

Thanks!

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• try this:

click 'edit', then 'select all'. that should highlight everything, then do 'ctrl. & c' at the same time then 'ctrl. & v' to paste.
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options
    I think you need Acrobat, not Reader.

If you have Acrobat there's an icon that looks like letter with a small dotted box to the bottom right of it. In my case it's a T with a dotted box in the lower right.

There are pdf to Word converters. I believe there is at least one freeware version available. If you don't have any luck with it you can send the file to me and I'll do it for you.
  • Garret
    Garret Member Posts: 111
    Options

Unless you buy the full Adobe Acrobat (which runs about $60), you can't reliably copy/paste anything more than a line of text from a PDF. It's a hassle.

Here's a trick... you can install a PDF "virtual printer", and print to it from Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If you're on a Windows PC, a good free virtual PDF printer is this one:

http://www.primopdf.com/

Download this software, and install it on your computer. It will add a new printer to your system, called "PrimoPDF."

Open up your 50-page PDF document, and select File->Print. Instead of your real printer, choose the PrimoPDF virtual printer. Change the print range to select the page(s) you want to snag... If the pages you want to export aren't contiguous, then you'll have to create multiple pdfs.

Hit OK, and it'll write a new PDF with just the selected pages in it.

I'm just a homeowner who'se gotten loads of great advice about my steam system. Happy to offer with bit of my experience (comp programmer and sysadmin by day, steam enthusiast by night).

Best,
    -Garret
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    zac

Nope!

Didn't work. Thanks for your efforts

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    pitman9

I have the icon (T with a dotted box, lower right). When you click on this, you can corral (box) anything, the problem is when I take my finger off it disapears. I did notice the bar on the bottom left getting some action (like it was loading, or opening a page). The blue bar was going from left to right quickly like it was copying. Is this being copied, and can I pull it up somewhere else?

Sorry for the dumb questions, my ability ends at sending an e-mail or adding a attachment, but I am learning! :0

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    Garret

I'm working on it.................there is a BIG learning curve on this end.

I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    you can try this one

There is a copy button (Looks like a camera in a dotted box..kinda. at least tht is what I was told it was) Just to the right of the highlight text button.

Select that and you can drag a box around the entire page content. (one page at a time) you will see it flash to reverse color, and a dialog box will say something lie "selected item has been copied to the clipboard"

Open a new word doc, then right click to paste, and viola!!

repeat for other pages, and then print the work doc.
  • Steve_35
    Options
    Do you have Acrobat or Acrobat Reader?

And which version? Select Help/About Adober Acrobat. The type you have and the specific version will be displayed.
  • Mark_46
    Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
    Options

Robert,

The reason you cant select text in the PDF you have is becasue the PDF was not originally created using Acrobat Distiller. When a document is converted into a PDF, it should be 'distilled'...where the text components are tagged as spearate items within the PDF document. It is then that you can select text. There is a good chance the PDF you have was not created in this way. There are some work-arounds as others have posted here. But in actuality, the PDF you have is the problem, not your level of PC knowledge :o).
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    pitman9

I'm not sure, I think its just reader. When I click on or try to open an attachment, it just starts with the "Acrobat is more than just reader" box. As far as the version, I think its 5.0 or 5.1 does this sound right?

Now I'm really confused.

I have already printed the text and have sent the e-mail the ol' fashioned way (after four attempts, the printer finally printed the pages I want instead of the ones IT wants) and have typed up the e-mail. I not giving up though and will try anything to make this work.

Thanks for your patience.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Steve_35
    Options
    I won't swear to it

but I'm reasonably sure you need Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader to capture text. It's been so long since I had just AR that I really don't recall for sure.

That said there are programs capable of converting pdf to text or Word docs. Do a google on convert pdf Word free. Most of the hits will be free trial downloads of a sharware program. Here's a free one. I ahven't used it but it's GOT to be worth at LEAST what you paid. :)

http://www.pdf-to-html-word.com/pdf-to-text/
This discussion has been closed.