Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ever see one of these ?

Options
Tom M.
Tom M. Member Posts: 237
I didn't know who made it because the bottom was covered with insulation. It was in a single zone monoflow system suspended between the joists. Never had a problem with it and the homeowner commented on the warm spot in the kitchen floor. I assume that when too much air is trapped, the excess will go to the first radiator where it can be manually bled.

Tom M.

Comments

• Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Options
    Thrush air tank

Yesterday we removed this one. It is a steel expansion tank, but the supply water flows through it.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Options
    New

Buderus and top performer
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Nice job Bill.

The Thrush tank I've never seen, but the Top performer....thats a different story. I've seen too many of those, and most were replacements for the original install.

Heavy mothers, and quite a chore to move after the stone lining is saturated.Shoot, they're heavy when they're not sturated too. Hope they've improved since the first ones went in. Chris
  • Bill Nye_2
    Options
    Credit

Credit where credit due, my partner Mark deserves equal credit here too.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Huh?

Never saw one of those before. I guess the idea is that if there is air in the system it will get trapped in the tank. Being an expansion tank, if it gets full you'll need to drain it, but not too much? And if there is too much air you'll have to let some out, but not all of it? It doesn't have a float to let out excess air does it?
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options

Hi Bill,

Is that a sight window on the end in the second picture? Any plugs or fittings other than the two on the ends?
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    top performers

These are popular at one of the supply houses I deal with, however I have not used one yet. I have been using mostly Megastor lately.

I am not really sure what the big advantage to these water heaters are. I can understand the brochure, and how the mass of the stone lining helps extend the first hour rating, but I am not sure if it is really worth the back ache!!!!

Nice job!

Cosmo Valavanis
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Cosmo

Going down the stairs they are real nice coming back out they are a pain in the keister.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Options
    Ron,

Ron, you mean on the end of the tank about 1/3 of the way up? That is a coin vent behind a metal tab that must protect the coin vent? I guess. No literature
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    Seen one too

They make sense. I suspect when the big old boilers went out in early sixties and their built in low velocity air seperation chambers, Thrush figured why not just do the same thing in the piping and add the compression tank too. Seems to be one of those common sense ideas that got lost over the years.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.