Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam from chimney

Options
yes. thank you everyone, I had my heating guy here today and I have a cracked heat exchange and have to replace my boiler.
thanks for the help.

Comments

• k. remolino
    k. remolino Member Posts: 4
    Options
    chimney

This morning as i was leaving for work I noticed quite a bit of smoke (white and clean) coming from my chimney.
    I immediately went back to the house, and the furnance was on and the heat just starting to come up. i have steam heat (radiators) and I had never seen this before. is is normal and I just never happened to notice it before?? should I be worried??
    Please advise
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    White smoke means...

A new Pope has been named... (Beat you to it Brad:-)

It could also indicate a hole in your heat exchangers probably right at or slightly below normal operating water line. Pretty common method of failure. If you overfill the boiler when it is off, and water comes running out from inside of or fromunda the boilah, you've got problems.

ME
  • k. remolino
    Options

thanks for the pope. i don't think that is it.
    no problems with the boiler or heating system. everything looks and sounds normal. i just never noticed the smoke before. Do you think this is normal and i just never noticed it??
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Unfortunately

the only two signs of a steam leak in the combustion area and above the waterline without taking it apart are steam up the chimney and increased fuel usage, otherwise as sujested fill boiler with water when cool and look for water dripping from the bottom.
  • jim_85
    jim_85 Member Posts: 17
    Options

I have to say that the other guys are right, there must be a leak in the boiler that is letting the steam out of the boiler, letting it go out of the chimney
  • k. remolino
    Options

Thanks, besides wasting fuel is this dangerous? can I wait until the next day I am off to call someone??
  • jim_85
    jim_85 Member Posts: 17
    Options

I would say that you will be safe till tommorow.But you are going to want it looked at by a prfessional soon.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,605
    Options

You didn't mention if your boiler is gas or oil fired.

A gas boiler will show water vapor condensing as it leaves the chimney in the form of steam but you will usually only see this on a cold day. (probably not cold enough where you are).

An oil boiler will show white smoke when the fire is severly of ratio (too much air too little oil) and you will usually be able to smell this type of smoke.

If neither of the above applies you probably have a leak in the boiler as the other posters noted above.

Ed
  • k. remolino
    Options

Hi... I have a gas fired boiler...it was cold this morning i am in new jersey...and the white smoke was only as the heat started to come up. i wont be able to try this again
    until tomoorw when I am off and can see outside. Just leary of any big problem while the family is sleeping. so far today no problem. Heat is on and no leak in basemnt radiators all fine.
    Thannk you for answering, I appreciate the info. what do you think??
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    what do we think?

we think you'll be replaceing your boiler..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Eddie M
    Eddie M Member Posts: 26
    Options

i also live NJ. i had a leak above the water line. u need to replace boiler. I had mine replaced. how old is boiler? Mine was a 22 year old utica. did u notice u were adding water to boiler frequently?
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Where is the steam?

Is the steam plume right on top of the chimney or is there a gap of a foot or two? Normally, there is a gap. If not, you have, a very low draft situation, a leaking boiler as previously discussed, cold oversized exterior unlined chimney, or all the above.

First, have the boiler inspected and tested for proper operation and leaks. Next, have the chimney inspected and relined if necessary. Then, perform a combustion analysis and worst case depressurization test-make adjustments to optimize performance as allowed by the mfr. of the boiler. The Combustion Appliance Zone should be evaluated for make up air as part of the WCDT.

HTH,
  • wayne_20
    wayne_20 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Just speaking from experiencing this ourselves. Our boiler had a leak 4 weeks before we were going to replace it. Steam was going up the chimney and it caused a reaction with the creatsote and it leached through our plaster walls in the 2nd floor. It looked like a horror movie with all the red stains. The chimney was old to begin with but the steam really comprimised its integrity. The boiler's been replaced and the chimney is coming down tomorrow when we get the roof done.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bummer dude....

or dudette, what ever the case may be. Make sure your heating contractor installs the system per the installation manual, and noise, is not an option nor a free feature...

ME
This discussion has been closed.