Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Over sized boilers

Options
Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
I was told about a "new" way to do a heat loss by someone who has been in this business almost 25yrs. Measure the baseboard,multiply length by 600,double that and then add a section for domestic hot water. When I suggested that this might lead to drastic oversizing the response was "I've never had to replace a boiler because it was undersized"

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Rick Rodriguez_2
    Rick Rodriguez_2 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Over sized boilers and efficentcy

I find when doing heat loss calulations that many boilers are over sized.

Does any one have any information as to measuring the effects of an over sized hydronic or steam heating system?
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Here is a start...

... start looking into the many threads and links that gasfolk has posted here... use the Search function and look for the last 100 or so posts from gasfolk. There is a lot of good, thoughtful reading ahead for you!
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options

Brookhaven National Lab has done some measurement of efficiency losses with partal loads on boilers and is currently in the process of more research in quantifying it.

The efficiency loss is often a lot more than people think but it is also more control stratagy effected than many people think.
  • CC.Rob
    CC.Rob Member Posts: 130
    Options

Ron,

Can you elaborate, or are there links to BNL pubs you could suggest? Currently investigating control strategies, think I got it (ODR and DHW priority with a tekmar), but wouldn't mind more info. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.